VOGONS

HL 1 on pentium 133 :)

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by viktorcech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

pretty fast..

https://youtu.be/fisb1sr7_Rk

dtk pam-0056l, 128 mb edo ram, s3 virge-dx/gx pci (375/385), CF hdd 8gb

Reply 5 of 17, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
viktorcech wrote:

pretty fast..

https://youtu.be/fisb1sr7_Rk

dtk pam-0056l, 128 mb edo ram, s3 virge-dx/gx pci (375/385), CF hdd 8gb

I had the Half-Life: Day One demo on my old P233 system with a Voodoo Banshee graphics card and 64MB of RAM. It played fine (smoother than in that video), until I started getting into firefights with the military. Then the framerate went down the toilet when there was too much action on the screen.

Reply 9 of 17, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I managed to run Half-Life 1 on my NEC Ready 7022 (Pentium 100 40mb ram and 1mb vram,) actually. It's much worse than in viktorcech's video, as I'd kinda expect. For some reason I still think it's neat that it runs at all on a machine this old (1995.) I played up to when the accident occurs, and I swear that took at least 40 minutes to get to because the framerate was so low and there was actually quite a pause between everyone's sentences. Maybe I could post a quick video of that someday, although I already uninstalled the game to free up space and I also hate Sierra Utilites.

Reply 12 of 17, by r.cade

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BeginnerGuy wrote:

This reminds me of the first time I played Doom.. "low quality", smallest possible screen size, couple frames per week, enjoyed the entire game 😎

Did it run on a 286 or 386sx like that or something? I thought by the time this was released, 486 was cheap and plentiful... 😀

Or maybe I just missed the early days- I switched from Amiga to PC in mid to late 1994.

Reply 14 of 17, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
r.cade wrote:
BeginnerGuy wrote:

This reminds me of the first time I played Doom.. "low quality", smallest possible screen size, couple frames per week, enjoyed the entire game 😎

Did it run on a 286 or 386sx like that or something? I thought by the time this was released, 486 was cheap and plentiful... 😀

Or maybe I just missed the early days- I switched from Amiga to PC in mid to late 1994.

I wish, in April of 1994 it was still $2000 to walk out of the store with a DX2 66 with 8mb ram and a 14 inch CRT. $2500 for a DX4 100. HP Vectras with 486SX33 were getting affordable (around $1000). A pentium 66 went for $5000+. I just checked Infoworld April 1994 for those prices 🤣

I played it on a 386DX 25 or 33 (can't remember which, my dad upgraded my 286 with parts he brought home from work). My father had a 486DX33 that ran it nicely (based on my memory, which would be pretty slow today). Was still fun playing it over the home network he had setup to separate rooms in the house. No skewed memory though, I remember it running annoyingly slow on the 386.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 17 of 17, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I played HL1 on a Pentium 133 overclocked to 166 with TNT2 M64 PCI (yes the video card was very overkill for the computer).

In small areas 1024x768 ran okay, but as soon as any real action happened even 640x480 was very slow.

It was hard to finish the game on the Pentium 1. I later upgraded to a Duron 800 and that resolved the issues 😁

I heard HL1 likes MMX, I should do some benchmarking to compare in future.....

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com