VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by stranno

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is a weird one.

I have tried Miami Powerboat Racer (Miami Speedboat Racer in EU), a cheap clone between Rapid Racer and Wave Race 64 with power-ups, and music works fine with _inmm, but sounds do not work. They are just WAV files , PCM 22KHz Mono 16bits. There's no fancy sound API or weird codec, just WAV files.

But it doesnt matter what volume you set in options (both ingame options and launcher options) it doesnt sound anything but the music.

Any idea? The game is bundled with indeo codec but there are just two videos and both of them are just MPEG1 files. Most of the redist are not needed at all.

Direct3D 8 game. dgVoodoo not needed, it works out of the box in Windows 10 64-bit and you can set the resolution to whatever value you want.

Reply 1 of 2, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have you tried

1: Checking if the game actually has sound enabled in Windows' sound mixer (sndvol)? You must check this while the game is running (so find some way to force it windowed).

2: Using an older version of dsound.dll, indirectsound or creative alchemy?

3: compatibility mode?

Reply 2 of 2, by stranno

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

NVM. Checking the logs i finally realized that it used Aureal 3D sound as API. I have tested with this wrapper and eveything seems to work properly now.

http://www.worknd.ru/

Why are they using this kind of API with mono sound? IDK.

BTW: Some of the programmers of this crappy game are working for Guerrilla Games and they developed all the Killzone games aswell as Horizon: Zero Dawn.