Common searches

Games with CD Audio?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 31, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What's more interesting to me and was a recent post on it was games that had both CD Audio but also had Midi if the CD wasn't inserted.
Warcraft2 and Age of Empires 2 are ones I know of off the top of my head

Reply 21 of 31, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chinny22 wrote:

What's more interesting to me and was a recent post on it was games that had both CD Audio but also had Midi if the CD wasn't inserted.

Betrayal at Krondor has a CD Audio option that is basically a recording of the MIDI tracks on whatever they used as a reference player (Sound Canvas?).
Blood has CD Audio, with MIDI/FM as an option as well.
Shadow Warrior is CD Audio-only, no MIDI/FM options.
Heroes of Might & Magic II also has CD Audio reference MIDI like BAK, with the option of FM or your own MIDI device.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 22 of 31, by vogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote:

Cool, a list of this sort would be good too. For these games, is the CD Audio a recording of the MIDI? And do people like the MIDI or CD Audio more? Thanks!

Reply 24 of 31, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tempest 2000 had notable music

Errius wrote:

IIRC Destruction Derby 2 has two thrash metal instrumental tracks on the CD.

Actually this was NASCAR Racing

DD2 has similar music though

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 25 of 31, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Monster Truck Madness 2 uses CD Audio for the background music, and Monster Truck Madness 1 supports both Synthesized and CD Audio music. you can even use your own Audio CDs instead if you desire (only if it's a complete installation).

Reply 26 of 31, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vogamer wrote:
chinny22 wrote:

Cool, a list of this sort would be good too. For these games, is the CD Audio a recording of the MIDI? And do people like the MIDI or CD Audio more? Thanks!

That's already been a thread. It's much shorter to list those

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 28 of 31, by vogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all, thanks for all the replies, they're great! From the MIDI discussion, I was thinking the CD Audio tracks from games that use real musical instruments (like an orchestra) for their soundtrack would be especially good.

Anyone have some in mind? Thanks.

Reply 30 of 31, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vogamer wrote:
Hi, for CD Audio, I like reading what other people like, however a search is also good. […]
Show full quote

Hi, for CD Audio, I like reading what other people like, however a search is also good.

According to Mobygames, below are the games CD Audio games I know of. Beyond Quake, don't know which ones are good yet...

Aliens Versus Predator
Alone In The Dark 1/2/3
Half-Life 1/2
Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade: The Graphic Adventure (FM Towns)
Quake
7th Guest

Pretty sure Half-Life 2 uses digital music stored on disk and 7th guest uses midi except for the intro (CDA music on 2nd CD is not used in the game).

I'd add:

Total Annihilation
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3