VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is a "long shot" but if you don't try you'll never know. I have a 3rd party roster editing program I use for the Front Page Sports Football 98 game in which I can't get the "key" to work to register it. I'm a registered user (12 yrs. ago) but the program is no longer supported and the author can no longer be contacted.

The restored "key" works in win98 but not in XP and that's the problem I'm trying to solve. The support files for the roster utility go in the windows/system directory but since this was originally for win98 maybe they need to go in a different place for XP? I have a keycreator program (but no password), and the key
restore/save program along with a host of other keys but to no avail. Are they're any programmers out there willing to help if I provide the files? Figure someone out there with the "kung fu" could solve this pretty quickly.

The site for the program is http://web.archive.org/web/20120618112622/htt … .com:80/j-tool/

If you're in the USA I'd be willing to compensate for your time as I'm pretty desperate right now.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 1 of 6, by bakcom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Did you try Win98 compatibility mode?
Else, you might try running it in a VM, like VirtualBox.

Can you explain some what are "support files", "key creator without password", and "key save/restore program" (isn't the key just some text you paste in the actual software)?

Reply 2 of 6, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bakcom wrote:

Did you try Win98 compatibility mode?
Else, you might try running it in a VM, like VirtualBox.

Can you explain some what are "support files", "key creator without password", and "key save/restore program" (isn't the key just some text you paste in the actual software)?

The support files are: COMDLG32.OCX, MSCOMCTL.OCX, MSVBVM60.DLL, nslock15vb6.OCX, OLEAUT32.DLL, TABCTL32.OCX. These are supposed to go in the windows/system dir under Win98.

Keycreator 2.1 is a program that takes your software code (displayed on the ROSTMAN opening screen - see attached pic) and hopefully generates a working key to register the utility. Problem is it requires a password which I lost of course.

jtkey.exe is a program that backsup/restores your working key. Got a working key for the win98 system but i think when you install on another computer it puts out a different software code so that key is useless.

You are correct about the key itself - just some text/numbers you cut/paste. Thanks for responding.

Attachments

• Rostman.JPG
    Filename
    Rostman.JPG
    File size
    49.67 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 3 of 6, by bakcom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Do you have it currently working on Win98, or does even that not work?

Did you try running it on XP with Win98 compatibility mode to see if the "Software code" changes to match your Win98? If it does, I assume your existing key will work. Might be worth a try also on Win98 under VirtualBox (or maybe Microsoft's Virtual PC 2004 is easier to set up).

I suppose the files in your list can go either in the software directory or C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 on XP. But I don't see how that's going to help with registration.

I assume that KeyCreator isn't a tool provided by the author of Roster Manager. If so, the forum admins might not want that discussed here.

Reply 4 of 6, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'll try copying all the files from my Win98 system over to the XP, and then run it in compatibilty mode, thanks for the tip.

The Keymaker or Keycreator utility was used I believe by the author of the Rostman program but it's useless without a password which I of course lost. This was a really old 3rd party program which came out in 2000 and cost 5 bucks for a key to register. The guy is out of circulation and have no way to contact him. I may have to "turn the page" on this one.

If this still a sketchy subject despite the explanation above I apologize, don't mean to cause any trouble. This is an old football game I love to mess with mainly cause these days there are no other computer football games to compare to it simulation wise anyway.

Reply 5 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would try to P2V the physical machine and see if the application still works. If it does then you can either stay with that solution or proceed from there if you want to try to get it working on the host OS. It's far easier to work with a VM for these kinds of things.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 6, by bakcom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's no trouble, I'm just trying to understand the situation. 😀

If you could upload all the things somewhere I could have a direct look.

BTW, if you're not familiar with Virtual Machines (like VirtualBox or Virtual PC, and others), it's a way to run another operating system under your "main" operating system. This way you can install and run Win98 under WinXP, then install software under the virtualized Win98. That Win98 can be used in a window under XP, or switched to fullscreen.