VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 25, by Nightshades

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
filipetolhuizen wrote:
Hello again, Sorry for not getting in touch with you sooner. I certainly appreciate your efforts of supporting these games on mo […]
Show full quote
Nightshades wrote:

Ok i spotted the issue, it's a problem with the Message, will post a patched version soon (if it's allowed here ?).
This fix Crazy Animation speed and make the game act as normal so when we tap forward 2 time we can run now.

Hello again,
Sorry for not getting in touch with you sooner. I certainly appreciate your efforts of supporting these games on modern OSes. I'd recommend you to take a look at the macintosh version of AITD which is able of running in hi-res (as well as AITD2 and 3). These versions actually do make the graphics sharper in hi res mode (WAITD3 will just stretch things out). Here's a video of AITD1 for mac: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErUT8vE1RRI
The CD version of AITD 1 also has remastered sceneries for hi-res mode and will look much better than the disk version. The crazy animation speed in the video is a side effect of the game being run under Sheepshaver.

Hello, I did look the video, and when you say the "CD Version" i don't know anything about MAC but those this executable has the equivalent of 32Bits or is it a kind of dos version 16bits ?

I find that the older it is the harder it's to reverse 🤣, it's already a miracle that WAITD3 run on x64 pc 😜

Also just opened a project and you may download the patch: https://github.com/Nightshades1/AITD3-DASM

Reply 21 of 25, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When it comes to file structure I'm a noob. What I know is that AITD1 doesn't require a PowerPC processor to run and AITD3 is optimized to run on them. I have no idea if AITD1 has a FAT binary (has 68k and PowerPC code) or is pure 68k code. I know it runs inside both BasiliskII (68k emulator) and Sheepshaver (PPC emulator).

Reply 22 of 25, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nightshades wrote:
Hello, I did look the video, and when you say the "CD Version" i don't know anything about MAC but those this executable has the […]
Show full quote
filipetolhuizen wrote:
Hello again, Sorry for not getting in touch with you sooner. I certainly appreciate your efforts of supporting these games on mo […]
Show full quote
Nightshades wrote:

Ok i spotted the issue, it's a problem with the Message, will post a patched version soon (if it's allowed here ?).
This fix Crazy Animation speed and make the game act as normal so when we tap forward 2 time we can run now.

Hello again,
Sorry for not getting in touch with you sooner. I certainly appreciate your efforts of supporting these games on modern OSes. I'd recommend you to take a look at the macintosh version of AITD which is able of running in hi-res (as well as AITD2 and 3). These versions actually do make the graphics sharper in hi res mode (WAITD3 will just stretch things out). Here's a video of AITD1 for mac: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErUT8vE1RRI
The CD version of AITD 1 also has remastered sceneries for hi-res mode and will look much better than the disk version. The crazy animation speed in the video is a side effect of the game being run under Sheepshaver.

Hello, I did look the video, and when you say the "CD Version" i don't know anything about MAC but those this executable has the equivalent of 32Bits or is it a kind of dos version 16bits ?

I find that the older it is the harder it's to reverse 🤣, it's already a miracle that WAITD3 run on x64 pc 😜

Also just opened a project and you may download the patch: https://github.com/Nightshades1/AITD3-DASM

I also forgot to say that in the Mac version you use "Shift" to run instead of tapping "up" twice, which personally I prefer. It'd be nice to have such a choice. If you ever find out how to make the graphics render in true hi-res like in the mac versions, please apply to your patch. 😉

Reply 23 of 25, by Nightshades

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Like you said it's only stretched on windows because the game use BitBlt, it's not possible to make High-Res unless the .pak is re-created with the new texture.

It seem that they had some love for Mac, but Fredéric Raynal didn't like mac that much, he's more PC Oriented, i sadly got no response from him as i asked developers tools (ScenEdit,3Desk) in order to create new levels or edit the actual .pak (repack too).

I think it's not worth the time to reverse this game, it's so much complex with their "old" method, as there was no "Z" buffer for the rendering priority you do imagine the tons of work they did with so many function (the assembly is horrible).

The 3D Models are a huge list of vertex assembled which is lame (but was good in 1992 i guess...) The best thing to do would be to re-create alone in the dark 1 or 3 (alone 2 is badass) in unity with real 3D Model/background but keeping the Static Camera aspect.

If i had designer/animator under the hands i would love to make a remake of alone 1 my first game.

Reply 24 of 25, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nightshades wrote:
Like you said it's only stretched on windows because the game use BitBlt, it's not possible to make High-Res unless the .pak is […]
Show full quote

Like you said it's only stretched on windows because the game use BitBlt, it's not possible to make High-Res unless the .pak is re-created with the new texture.

It seem that they had some love for Mac, but Fredéric Raynal didn't like mac that much, he's more PC Oriented, i sadly got no response from him as i asked developers tools (ScenEdit,3Desk) in order to create new levels or edit the actual .pak (repack too).

I think it's not worth the time to reverse this game, it's so much complex with their "old" method, as there was no "Z" buffer for the rendering priority you do imagine the tons of work they did with so many function (the assembly is horrible).

The 3D Models are a huge list of vertex assembled which is lame (but was good in 1992 i guess...) The best thing to do would be to re-create alone in the dark 1 or 3 (alone 2 is badass) in unity with real 3D Model/background but keeping the Static Camera aspect.

If i had designer/animator under the hands i would love to make a remake of alone 1 my first game.

I didn't mean render the whole scenery in hi-res, only the 3d models (Carnby, Emily, Monsters, etc), like it's done in the Mac disk versions and Free In The Dark. BTW, did you have a chance to take a look at FITD code for ResidualVM to see if there were any significant changes? (Dream In The Dark, also FITD-based, seems to have).

Reply 25 of 25, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just found an updated version of FITD which runs more stably (but has no music and requires zlib1.dll):
https://github.com/tigrouind/fitd-residualvm/ … eleases/tag/1.0