VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Nestel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the HP Thin PC with Windows CE oc. 800 MHZ... if there liberias that you can install programs from the others at 9.x versions?? Really want to play games there but an not support error showen, or not up something at all 😒.

Reply 1 of 9, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

From top of my head, Windows CE was somekind of mobile variant. First I'd like to point out I do not have any personal experience with WinCE myself, but there are some things you may try.

First of all, the CE not displaying any error messages will continue to be annoying, but many Window's (like XP) often have their display of error messages disabled (like instead of giving you a BSoD, it will simply reboot suddenly without telling the user what went wrong).
Though even if you manage to make it display error messages in some way, chances are you will have a hard time getting games to work, depending on how CE is compared to 9x internally.

I don't remember CE being very popular or widespread (I certainly never saw a CE install disk for sale or whatever), how did it get in your client in the first place? 😜

edit: Apparently there's more to it, according to google. I'd suggest you give us a bit more information (like exact configuration and which version of CE) and tell us what you've already tried so far. Google seems to have quite a bit of information on this subject.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 9, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You cannot run desktop applications on Windows CE, if that's what you're asking. You need Windows CE versions. Ideally, you want applications that are for "Windows CE"... but you may find that some applications said to be for "PocketPC" or "Windows Mobile" will work, especially if they're simple applications, so those can be worth trying.

Tetrium wrote:

I don't remember CE being very popular or widespread (I certainly never saw a CE install disk for sale or whatever), how did it get in your client in the first place? 😜

CE was very popular and widespread. You just didn't see installation media because only OEMs had those. The only (official) way to get CE was to buy a device that had it pre-installed. In that way, it was no different than most mobile operating systems (ex. IOS, Windows Phone, Blackberry, Windows RT, etc.).

Last edited by Osprey on 2017-09-19, 19:30. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 3 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As Tetrium said. Also, this is what I remember from my Pocket PC days..
Windows CE was (in)offically an acronym for Compact Edition.
Originally, Windows CE had a subset of an Win32-style API.
CE was used mainly for embedded stuff and covered the MIPS, ARM/StrongARM, SH3 and x86 architectures.

Windows CE was later used as a base for Pocket PC 2000, a PDA operating system.
PPC2000 later evolved into Windows Mobile 2002 and 2003/2003SE and then Windows Mobile 5.0.
Beginning with Windows Mobile 6.x, the PDA version was called "Classic".

Both Pocket PC 2000 and Windows Mobile were like frameworks that sat on top of Windows CE.
Older Windows CE 2.x programs could sometimes still run on these.
They would then show the old boxy Win95 control boxes and pull-down menues.
Also, the SH3 platform was dropped with Pocket PC 2002 (aka Windows Mobile 2002).
True Windows CE applications differentiated between three platforms: Desktop, Handheld and PDA.
Prior Windows CE 3.0 (which also was the base of Pocket PC 2000), PDAs applications looked the same as Windows 95 apps.

After Windows Phone 7.0 -an entirely different OS-, the term Windows Mobile was reused.
It had no connections to the old Win CE version.

Windows CE doesn't have DirectX, but a runtime named GAPI ("Game API").
It also has a simple Wave Input/Output API, like MCI had.

Nowadays, Windows CE is also used on cheap netbooks.
It comes either in the CE 5.x or CE 6.x flavor.

In terms of compatibility, CE 5.x is better because it supports the older (but more limited) WinCE memory scheme.
It is also the last one to support the enhanced flavor of GAPI and the older Wave I/O API.

There's also a copy of Opera that runs on them.

Sorry, that's all that comes to my mind right now. 😊

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 9, by Nestel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm downloaded programs of CE: ARM, MIPS and the others and they also not works like: This program not Vaild to the Windows CE"" a lot of native CE softwares and games, PocketPC, PDAs and maybe Desktop that I puted there, all that should support are not. Help please please...

Reply 5 of 9, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ARM and MIPS are CPU architectures. The programs made for those architectures will not work on other architectures. Your device is probably x86. You need to find programs that are for Windows CE and for x86 processors. It may help for you to look for forums that are specifically for the HP Thin PC or for Windows CE, places where other people doing similar things as you are discussing them and the programs and games that work on devices such as yours.

Reply 6 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hello again! Say, does your Windows CE machine have an x86 processor or an ARM ?

I've found a few programs in my personal collection which are still kind of interesting (gaming wise).

PocketSNES H/PC version (source)
Neko Project II
YAME 0.38 WinCE version

If the processor is ARM, you could try to re-compile some of them yourself for x86.
Well, provided the source code is avalaible. 😐

The development system used to be eMbedded Visual C++.
Desktop and H/PC should be similar (the latter has a touch screen, though).

I also attached you some photos of the programs running
and of my 7" WinCE netbook (yeah, it is pink)! 😁

Attachments

• neko2.jpg
    Filename
    neko2.jpg
    File size
    339.94 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • neko2b.jpg
    Filename
    neko2b.jpg
    File size
    292.89 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • netbook_ce.jpg
    Filename
    netbook_ce.jpg
    File size
    374 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • pocketsnes.jpg
    Filename
    pocketsnes.jpg
    File size
    345.95 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • pocketsnes_2.jpg
    Filename
    pocketsnes_2.jpg
    File size
    534.93 KiB
    Views
    File license

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have the HP Thin PC with Windows CE oc. 800 MHZ... if there liberias that you can install programs from the others at 9.x versions??

I forgot to mention: If that HP Thin Client has an x86 processor, nothing stosp you from installing a copy of Windows 98. 😀

My HP Thin Client (HP t5520 ? ) came with an internal IDE connector, so I added a little CF card reader with double-sided sticky tape
to the inside of the shell. It works very well for what it is.

Memory is 64MiB, which is okay for Win95-98. Graphics card is a Rage IIc, I believe.

Anyway, there was no driver shortage. All device drivers were plenty available for Win9x.

Edit: In case you can't find the IDE connector.. A DOM that holds WinCE might be mounted atop of it.

//My video channel//