VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Lifeisstrange74

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It will say that the app is not supported. 3DMark 1999 also seemed to crash when trying to install on a old Windows XP

Last edited by Lifeisstrange74 on 2020-03-31, 15:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 11, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try this
Download this app here:
http://legroom.net/scripts/download....e=uniextract16

After installing the app, right click the 3dmax 99.exe and select UniExtract to Subdir. You will then have the setup folder. Right click the setup.exe choose compatibility mode and choose win 95, {win 98/me, should work also} for that, apply and save. Then launch the setup and it will then install.

Next browse or search for ddraw.dll, in my case i took the one from here, since i am on 64bit os.
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ddraw

Now take that ddraw.dll and copy/paste it to the 3dmax 99 folder.
C:\Program Files (x86)\3DMark 99 Max

Now create a desktop shortcut with the "3dmark 99 max" exe. Now after that right click the .exe and choose compatibility mode win 98/me and hit apply

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 3 of 11, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Davros wrote:
Try this Download this app here: http://legroom.net/scripts/download....e=uniextract16 […]
Show full quote

Try this
Download this app here:
http://legroom.net/scripts/download....e=uniextract16

After installing the app, right click the 3dmax 99.exe and select UniExtract to Subdir. You will then have the setup folder. Right click the setup.exe choose compatibility mode and choose win 95, {win 98/me, should work also} for that, apply and save. Then launch the setup and it will then install.

Next browse or search for ddraw.dll, in my case i took the one from here, since i am on 64bit os.
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ddraw

Now take that ddraw.dll and copy/paste it to the 3dmax 99 folder.
C:\Program Files (x86)\3DMark 99 Max

Now create a desktop shortcut with the "3dmark 99 max" exe. Now after that right click the .exe and choose compatibility mode win 98/me and hit apply

Page not found on that link.

Reply 4 of 11, by n3r0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

liqmat, be smart 😉
Open that site, click on the "Software" item in the Navigation menu on the left. Then just download Universal Extractor.

Davros, thanks a lot for the tip. On Win7x64 i launched the benchmark without using compatibility during installation, and without copying ddraw.dll.

Reply 5 of 11, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
n3r0 wrote:

liqmat, be smart 😉
Open that site, click on the "Software" item in the Navigation menu on the left. Then just download Universal Extractor.

Davros, thanks a lot for the tip. On Win7x64 i launched the benchmark without using compatibility during installation, and without copying ddraw.dll.

No reason to be condescending. You missed my point.

My POINT was how about a better link?

Here we go:

https://www.legroom.net/software/uniextract

Reply 7 of 11, by windi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It was also possible to extract with WinRAR and for me it was not necessary to copy over the ddraw.dll, just set the compatibility mode.

However with nvidia GTX980 in win10 the 3dmark is stuck to vsync on, even when forcing it off in nvidia control panel. So it's not possible to use this for real benchmarking unless there is some fix for that vsync? I don't know of any. But it probably doesn't make sense to benchmark recent hardware with so old benchmark anyway. I also noticed that whenever nvidia control panel is running, the benchmark aborts instantly. But if you don't have much running on the background and control panel closed, it starts correctly.

The demo ran perfectly and is very nostalgic and fun. 😀

Reply 8 of 11, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I uploaded patched binaries for old 3D Mark versions up to 2001 some time ago, VSync is disabled in 1999 and there is also installable compatibility database that restores real fullscreen on Windows 8.x/10 (though you can also use dgVoodoo).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=19FLXgBHK138 … OwGej7-uCwYITKn

They're obviously not suitable for benchmarking modern hardware, but they're always good for show.

Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 9 of 11, by Fusion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I downloaded 3Dmark99 from the Futuremark legacy site and ran it fine without having to anything at all on my Win10 x64 setup. It does limit my VRAM on my 970 from 4GB to 1GB though. I got 57k when I ran it last night.

Pentium III @ 1.28Ghz - Intel SE440xBX-2 - 384MB PC100 - ATi Radeon DDR 64MB @ 200/186 - SB Live! 5.1 - Windows ME

Reply 10 of 11, by Dester

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just found this thread. Unfortunately it doesn't work for me (I'm trying to run the program on WinXP 64 bit). It starts, but then just sits in the memory with 7-8 MB usage and nothing appears. Tried Win95/98 compatibility, copied the DLL with no luck. The integrated ATI ES1000 "card" supports only DX6, so this is the only 3DMark I am theoretically able to run. Too bad it doesn't work.

Dester
I feel like I could... like I could... like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!

Reply 11 of 11, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dester wrote on 2021-06-29, 17:16:

I just found this thread. Unfortunately it doesn't work for me (I'm trying to run the program on WinXP 64 bit). It starts, but then just sits in the memory with 7-8 MB usage and nothing appears. Tried Win95/98 compatibility, copied the DLL with no luck. The integrated ATI ES1000 "card" supports only DX6, so this is the only 3DMark I am theoretically able to run. Too bad it doesn't work.

Is 3D acceleration active according to Dxdiag ? Do any 3D accelerated games/applications work ?