VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by doublegin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I've recently upgraded to Windows 10 and Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004 doesn't work anymore.

Has anybody had any success getting it up and running in Windows 10?

I've messed around with dgVoodoo2 a little without any luck so far.

Many thanks

Martin

Reply 1 of 8, by doublegin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
doublegin wrote:
Hi all, […]
Show full quote

Hi all,

I've recently upgraded to Windows 10 and Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004 doesn't work anymore.

Has anybody had any success getting it up and running in Windows 10?

I've messed around with dgVoodoo2 a little without any luck so far.

Many thanks

Martin

Further:

I've tried running in compatibility mode using multiple different settings.

I've tried downloading DirectX 9.0 (the software requirement, my W10 has DirectX 12.0) but W10 blocks the install.

Still no joy...

When I attempt to run TW2004, W10 asks if I wish to allow the .exe to make changes, when I accept nothing happens then I'm kicked back out to the Desktop.

Any suggestions to help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Reply 3 of 8, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's not a direct solution to your problem but I installed Windows XP to a virtual machine using Virtual Box. Throw a couple of CPU cores and enable 3d acceleration and most of these early 2000s games work no problem that way. Windows 10 broke a great deal of XP era games for me and getting them to work can turn into a total nightmare.

It's probably the most hassle free way for you to do this outside of setting up dual boot with win 7 or lower. You can make the VM full screen and disable the mouse hover menu and you'll barely even realize you're using a virtual machine.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 4 of 8, by doublegin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Davros wrote:

can you limit video ram to less than 32mb or tell dgvoodoo to do that ?

Thanks,

I've tried this with dgVoodoo 1 and 2 with no joy. I believe the reasons for this are:

dgVoodoo 1 is designed for Windows XP not Windows 10

dgVoodoo 2 doesn't support DirectX 9.0 which is required by TW2004.

Cheers

Reply 5 of 8, by doublegin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BeginnerGuy wrote:

It's not a direct solution to your problem but I installed Windows XP to a virtual machine using Virtual Box. Throw a couple of CPU cores and enable 3d acceleration and most of these early 2000s games work no problem that way. Windows 10 broke a great deal of XP era games for me and getting them to work can turn into a total nightmare.

It's probably the most hassle free way for you to do this outside of setting up dual boot with win 7 or lower. You can make the VM full screen and disable the mouse hover menu and you'll barely even realize you're using a virtual machine.

Cheers,

OK, I've tried this and some small progress has been achieved. Instead of nothing happening when attempting to run TW2004, I now get the error message "DirectX is reporting that there is not enough memory to run the game".

I'm thinking there are possibly two reasons for this.

Either:

TW2004 cannot recognise the large memory reported by DirectX, 192Mb in this case, so defaults to zero.

Or:

TW2004 is expecting the memory reported by DirectX to be in Kb, so when it sees 192 reported it believes this is not enough as it would need at least 16000 kb 16Mb.

I've tried forcing the maxmem in msconfig using higher and lower settings with no luck.

Many thanks

Reply 7 of 8, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

dgVoodoo 2 doesn't support DirectX 9.0 which is required by TW2004.

yes it does ive just ran Janes ww2 fighters in direct x mode
the game was released in 1998
WWII Fighters requires DirectX 5 or greater.
on the directX tab select geforce 4800
select 64mb vram

edit: I tried the demo in windows 10 and got the same insufficient video memory message you got
then i used dgvoodoo 2 and the game ran but crased while loading the level.

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 8 of 8, by The_chugster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry to necro this but i am trying to get the game to run properly, so i got the game to install but when i run i get the EA Sports logo, which doesnt go away, then i get the sounds of the menu and can see the ingame mouse but i cant see the main screen. Im using the iso's from myabandonware (I do have the discs but no DVDrom on my PC)

Is there a way to set the game to windowed mode or is it something else im missing?