Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, here's the basic specs of this PC:
Windows XP SP3/DirectX 9.0c
Intel Core 2 Duo
Nvidia Geforce 8400GS (Asus-made)
2GB Ram

The issue is that many of the older D3D hardware accelerated games I've tried have pretty bad graphical glitches. Here's some examples:

IMG_5470.JPG
Filename
IMG_5470.JPG
File size
624.45 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_5481.JPG
Filename
IMG_5481.JPG
File size
664.35 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_5482.JPG
Filename
IMG_5482.JPG
File size
669.34 KiB
Views
File license

Something of note is that 1NSANE originally had these issues, too, but when I set that game to use Direct3D T&L HAL in the options, it then worked fine. Does anyone know what I could possibly do to fix this? Thanks.

Reply 1 of 5, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Either use an older card (like a GeforceFX or a ATI Rage 128 Fury Pro Ultra 128 AGP 32mb Fury Pro) or use a wrapper. This is why dgVoodoo was made. The DX10 gen (And some of the dx8-9) had already made massive regressions

this isn't unusual, it's The Way It's Meant To Be Played(R)(TM)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 5, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Heh. Well, I tried taking out the card and using internal graphics and other than Croc, older games seem to be fairing much better. Problem is, it's very annoying to have to take the entire graphics card out to play games like these. Is there a way to switch between the Nvidia and Intel integrated graphics for game/Direct3D use in Windows?

Reply 4 of 5, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My BIOS indeed does have that choice. Just switch it to integrated graphics and disable the Nvidia card in Device Manager. Still have to change where the VGA cable is connected to, but it's better than having to take the card out. And Croc does now work properly with Dgvoodoo. Thanks. And yeah, I am a tad bit of a noob with hardware. I've actually never had a semi-newer desktop/tower PC until now. Only ever had newer laptops and my 1995 P1 tower that I use to play DOS and earlier Windows games on.

Reply 5 of 5, by shiva2004

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There's also another thing to take into account: drivers; old drivers usually are better suited to old games.

I have a GeForce 6600 and if I install the latest drivers available the card has glitches with many old games, some as "modern" as DX6, but if I install much older drivers the glitches dissapear (I'm talking about "downgrading" from 30x.xx to 8x.xx), of course I know that if I try some late DX9 games with this drivers I'll have all kind of troubles, but I'm OK with that, I have a much more modern and powerful computer for these.

But even with the oldest drivers that your card supports I think that the games you want to play are simply too old for it.