VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by thecrankyhermit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm on Windows 7. I found this patch:
http://tle.vaarties.nl/patches/

I've installed the official 1.1 patch, and this unofficial patch ontop of it. The game loads fine with sound and correct colors and menu and everything, but it crashes all the time. Any of these things can make the game crash, but it's inconsistent:
Starting a new level (crashes during the load screen)
Restarting a level (crashes during the load screen)
A lemming drowns (crashes as soon as you hear the bloop)

So far it has never crashed the first time I've loaded a level in a session, but it always crashes before too long, with a "LEMMINGS REVOLUTION has stopped working" prompt. I've tried compatibility mode, no discernible difference.

Running:
Windows 10
Core i5-6600
Geforce GTX 970
8GB RAM

Reply 1 of 3, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have you disabled DEP?

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster

Reply 2 of 3, by thecrankyhermit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

DEP is enabled. But I tried turning it off to see what would happen, and it still crashes randomly.

Side note for anyone who happens to stumble here through the desolate wasteland of Google Results; after doing a full install, make sure to manually copy the file "lemmings.box" from your CD to your install directory, overwriting the file that's already there. This is necessary because the installer corrupts this file. If you don't do this, then when you get to the level with corrupt data (specifically 9-6: The High Dive), you're going to have a bad time. The patch notes say to do this, but I didn't read them until after nearly an hour of desperate searching.

Running:
Windows 10
Core i5-6600
Geforce GTX 970
8GB RAM

Reply 3 of 3, by thecrankyhermit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, something interesting just happened. I played a session without a single crash just now. I'm on the last set of levels, usually on this set it crashes at least twice per level (every retry has a chance of crashing, and a lot of retries means a lot of crashing). I beat three levels without one crash.

Either something's different, maybe a Windows Update, maybe Intel's predictive execution was being crashy, or maybe I just got lucky today. There's five levels left before I beat this game. We'll see if it continues to behave next time.

Running:
Windows 10
Core i5-6600
Geforce GTX 970
8GB RAM