VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Cobra!

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to install a CD copy I have of Half-Life 1. However, the installer doesn't run at all, no errors, it just does nothing, nothing appears at all, and I need to go to task manager to close it.

I've tried copying the CD contents over, and replacing the installer (since it's 16-bit InstallShield) with a 32-bit version, but that didn't work either. I got the same results.

I've already tried redeeming the CD Key on Steam, but that didn't seem to work, it says it was already used.

What do I do?

Reply 2 of 17, by SpeedySPCFan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Run the installer, close it out it in Task Manager, and quickly open it back up (within like 3 seconds or so). If this is what I think it is, then it's just Microsoft enforcing their ludicrous security measures.

Did you by chance buy the game used? Someone likely snagged the key from the eBay photos, or redeemed it back when Steam was new. You really shouldn't buy any of the GoldSource games used for that reason, unless you just want the original WON release of the game.

Musician & music gear/game reviewer.

MIDI hardware: JD-990, SC-55, SC-880, SD-90, VL70-m, Motif ES, Trinity, TS-10, Proteus 2000, XK-6, E6400U

Reply 3 of 17, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Start the installer, then the Resource Monitor, find setup.exe in the process list, right-click on it and select Analyze Wait Chain... That will tell you which process is it waiting on; you must kill it.

PS: I have GOTY Edition with installer SETUP.EXE dated 1st October 2001. The game itself is at version 1.1.0.8. The installer doesn't have this issue, it's Wise Installer rather than InstallShield. So there are different versions of GOTY Edition out there?

Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 5 of 17, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

2PY3WTp.png
MBS3mQO.png

One ad on Amazon also says that this is the version needed for certain mods to run. It mentions They Hunger and this one needs at least 1.1.0.0 to run. The latest official patch for the WON version is 1.1.1.0. So it looks like there are different versions out there.

Anyway, regarding InstallShield problem, it has nothing to do with Windows version. It just doesn't work for some people because they have a misbehaving program running in the background that doesn't respond to the window message that is broadcasted by InstallShield to all windows on the system by the means of SendMessage API function.

Oh yeah, you can reproduce the problem with InstallShield easily on your own. Get Process Hacker 2, start Notepad, then use Process Hacker to suspend notepad.exe. You can suspend most Win32 applications that have any sort of window, including invisible ones and you'll see what happens.

Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 6 of 17, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm, I dig my old CD of Half-Life, and even though its older then your GOTY (version 1.0.0.9), I was able to install it and also run it on my Windows 10 64-bit without issues.

But, I have a similar problem like you with original Unreal CD, and I solved it just by running that installer on my virtual Windows 98 machine. Once it finished, I just copy installed files from there to my main system.

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 8 of 17, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, I found that later, when I compared content of game dir with content of CD. But with this method I'm almost certain, that Cobra! would be able to install his copy of HL GOTY.

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 10 of 17, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, I mean installing in either virtual machine or real retro Win98 machine.

Reply 12 of 17, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Rekrul wrote:

Does that work for the Gold edition?

Yes.

What else was I supposed to do back when I was in school? 🤣

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 13 of 17, by blam666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I could install my Half Life 1 retail relatively trouble-free recently on WIndows 10 64, but for recognizing the disk I had to update to 1.1.1.2. There I stayed.

Runs fine, but I have this bug now that the screen stays black when I return from game environment to menu.

This is not a devastating blow for gameplay, as you can easily just press the Windows key, activating the task bar, and repress it - and menu shows up again.

Still annoying, though. Does anyone know this problem and hopefully even a workaround for it? Most support site only care about steam versions nowadays...

Reply 14 of 17, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

HL's old menu system was notoriously buggy even on Win9x. There are no fixes besides getting Steam and playing their updated Half-Life on that platform as that has a new, bit more bulletproof menu system.

apsosig.png
long live PCem