VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have Panzer Commander installed and running on my W7 64-bit PC. Stock runs fine with any one of a few modded DDraw.dll's out there. It even patches to v1.1 without issue. But that's as far as I can get without encountering serious graphic issues; what works for v1 and v11 doesn't work with the v12, 13 or the fan made v14 patch.

The main issue is the "displaced turrent" problem which has been discussed periodically before on Vogons, simhq and elsewhere.

DDcompat will run v1 and v11 in D3D but crashes if patched any higher. Aqrit's dll, DDwindower and DXwnd run v1-11 too, but all exhibit the graphic glitches if patched beyond v11. I will note that by 'forcing' software mode in the DD configurators the game runs fine - without the displaced turret issues - just not in D3D.

Has a community work-around been discovered for this yet? DXwnd has a complex granular interface so I'm sure there are lots of untried combos in there...

EDIT: clarification - DDComp and Aqrit's DDraw.dll both run all patched versions but have the displaced turret issue on v1.2 and over similar to the other wrappers (DXwnd and DXwindower). dgVoodoo2 (MS) crashes right off the bat.

As a current compromise version 1.1 panzer.exe can be copied into a fully patched install (1.3 plus fan mod v1.4) *and* runs fine without graphic issues (DDCompat's ddraw.dll works fine here). But obviously it doesn't bring the AI/realism improvements of the 1.3 patch which patched the exe itself. On the other hand it does seem to take advantage of v14 fan mod stuff as near as I can tell. Not sure about the 1.1 Graphic Upgrade though mentioned in the mod readme.