VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by mannyca05

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

UPD. Thank you all for your help, the problem is solved. Sheep, Dog 'n' Wolf works great and Bugs Bunny: Lost in Time is ok too.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, can anyone help me with these 2 games - Bugs Bunny: Lost in Time and Sheep, Dog 'n' Wolf ?
Both games looks dark on GeForce GTX 970 + Windows 7, they shouldn't look like that. Both were very colorful and brightful as I remember.

Here, how it look now -

2.png

And how it should look -

3.jpg

Videos -
https://youtu.be/FfR-IWML8cM
https://youtu.be/k2LyuK8w1fE

Last edited by mannyca05 on 2018-01-25, 13:14. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 1 of 7, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Haven't bothered to try these in a modern system, but I have played them extensively as a kid and I can see why you'd like to revisit them . 😀

May I offer an alternative? Both games are actually ports from the PS1, so you may try emulating those versions instead, all of the assets are probably the same and I believe Lost in Time is probably identical to the PS1 version. I believe the PS1 version of Sheep, Dog 'n' Wolf has lower draw distances which can prove to be an issue in some of the later, larger levels of the game, but on the other hand, on an emulator you have save states at your disposal, which I think greatly benefits this game (and those last two levels, they can go screw themselves 🤣 ).

I don't know if you've already seen/played it, but Lost in Time had a pseudo sequel called Bugs Bunny & Taz : Time Busters which was actually pretty cool, perhaps even better than LiT. Hope that helps!

Reply 2 of 7, by mannyca05

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

F2bnp, Yes, the games were a real gems of it's time 😀 Thanks about mentioning PS1 versions if I won't find any way to make PC versions look brighter then I'll stick with PS1 versions.

PS And thanks for reminding me of Bugs Bunny & Taz : Time Busters, I heard of it, but never played it, will have to try 😊

Reply 3 of 7, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Don't know about Sheep, Dog 'n' Wolf, but for Bugs Bunny, use "Without 3D card for slow computers" renderer under video settings.

Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 5 of 7, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bugs Bunny uses GDI for rendering, the one for slower computers supposedly uses 8-bit color depth and the one for fast computers uses 24-bit color depth. There's also 3D accelerated renderer, uses OpenGL and the output is probably 24-bit. I don't think there's compatibility issue here, seems to me the renderer with deeper color depth is simply darker for some reason.

There is possibility to use one of the Glide wrappers, in this case for version 3 (glide3x.dll), by renaming hv3dfx.dll in bin folder to opengl32.dll and ensuring Glide wrapper of your choice is correctly setup. dgVoodoo2 makes my graphics driver crash, but nGlide works fine and it allows increasing gamma. Though it's not the same and the results aren't so good. dgVoodoo2 might work with your card and maybe increasing brightness will make it look better.

Sheep, Dog 'n' Wolf uses Direct3D renderer, in which case it's simple to override the brightness with dgVoodoo. Doesn't look too bad except the intro videos.

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 6 of 7, by mannyca05

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

UCyborg, Thank you so much, Sheep, Dog 'n' Wolf looks much better now.
Bugs Bunny: Lost in Time works oddly though, but I'll just stick with "Without 3D card for fast computers" because when using 3D card option there's some graphical glitches.
handshake.png

Reply 7 of 7, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I suppose that's just how the PC ports are. I tried Bugs Bunny on the actual Windows 98 to rule out compatibility problems, it's dark there as well. I also tried using opengl32.dll from the Mesa project which is a software rendered OpenGL implementation with "Using 3D card" option. It was slow, but my bet is that it should be at least accurate; there were some glitches regardless.

So you either try overriding brightness if/when possible or give PlayStation 1 version a go. Sheep 'n' Wolf does appear more polished and can run at smooth 60 FPS. Would be cool if Bugs Bunny's 3D option worked like that.