VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Anyone had any joy in getting this to run on Win2K/XP?

It looked like a reasonable purchase for my 8 year but I'm stuck on trying to get it to run. I run Win2K SP4 on a P3.

App runs up but shuts down straight away with a 'app is created an error log' dialog. The DrWatsn trace shows some potential issue with DirectX (game was witten against DX5 and I'm on 9B).

Any advice gratefully received. I could possibly try out Virtual PC but that maybe a rather awkward solution for an 8 year old to master.

Reply 2 of 4, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep, I tried all the available modes and nothing made any difference.

However, I've just got it to run...
I used Dependency Walker to profile the application hoping to see what was being called that caused the crash (from the callstack it was a DDraw/GDI thing). But to my surprise, using Depends, the game no longer crashes. I'd therefore say that it's perhaps the speed at which something is happening causing the crash ?!

Anyways, my daughter will be happy now. Maybe this info might help someone... although I somehow doubt there will be many people queuing up to play Rugrats - The Adventure Game 😉
Thanks!

Reply 3 of 4, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

*chuckles* but thanks for the info about this. What is Dependency Walker. I do not think I've come across this program...Any info would be appreciated..

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 4 of 4, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can download the latest version of it here. I don't expect there ever to be another version but there ya go! It's a tool written by a cool guy at Microsoft. It was provided by Microsoft as part of the Developer Studio product - quite some time back. The web page I gave has lots of info on it - basically it's one of a developers best friends!