VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by CinciTech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just bought a game from MicroIDs called Corsairs Gold. Looks really nice for it's age... But I've determined that it's not completely XP ready. (For the record, I do have a seperate computer that dual boots, and if it were up and running I'd check it there. But, until I get more money into my network... 😒 )

I first couldn't even get it to install. It would get just past asking me to enter a dir to install to, and it would crash with a window saying ".\UNKONWN ERROR", (yes, this is the correct spelling). I tried compatibility mode, and it installs when I set the setup file to Win98/ME mode. The game loads up, I skip through the videos, (they work), and begin a new game. As it's loading up, I get the error message:

!!!ERROR!!!
FILE
ERROR No 10000001 (D:\PRM\MISSIONS\MIS32\ORA\MIS32ORA.prm) LINE:63
FILE:c\file.c.

That said, I'm fairly convinced all my troubles would go away if I had a good Win98 emulator, (at least until I get my main dual bootable machine back up and running). Does anyone know any specific tips to help with this particular error, (so I can post the next one I get), or a *PERFECT* Win98 emu for XP?

Attachments

• Filename
    untitled.JPG
    File size
    93.18 KiB
    Downloads
    284 downloads
    File comment
    Screen shot of the error msg
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 4, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
CinciTech wrote:

or a *PERFECT* Win98 emu for XP?

There is no thing like that... Apart from dual boot it is only possible to run a PC emulator (like Microsoft (Connectix) Virtual PC etc.)) and install Windows 98 inside. But I am not sure how this works for games (probably not very well).

Mirek

Reply 2 of 4, by CinciTech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, *PERFECT* was a joke.

Any idea... Why are there emulators for DOS but not for the old unstable versions of Windows? Especially as we move toward 64 bit processors and operating systems, people aren't gonna want a good Win98 emulator to run old games?

Reply 3 of 4, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Too much involved to program I "assume" and you know what that spells. Lol.
But on a sidenote.. If any of you played Magic: The Gathering.. Do a Google Search for MANALINK.. or go to www.manalink.org.. OR search for Manalink 1.3.2. A guy is reprogramming parts of the Magic program so that people can actually PLAY it on Windows XP instead of being forced to use a Windows 95 and 98.

But as far as emulating an OS I'd guess you would have to use one of the PC Emulators like VMWare, Virtual PC, and there are others but I haven't use, don't know about, and don't know how to use them. Mostly cause I choose not to. Lo.

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 4 of 4, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
CinciTech wrote:

Why are there emulators for DOS but not for the old unstable versions of Windows? Especially as we move toward 64 bit processors and operating systems, people aren't gonna want a good Win98 emulator to run old games?

Too complicated and unless it is a really demanding application (like a 3D game 🙁 ) it can be solved better in another way. I mean by the emulating of the whole computer - you can install anything there. Having Windows 98 emulator would mean that the Windows version is hard wired there (and you cannot change it). It would be also more complex - everything what Microsoft implemented would have to be repeated in the emulator (either completely or mapped to host system). PC emulators avoid this by just installing Windows directly on a virtual PC ... 😀
DOS emulation is also much simpler and there is no need to adapt to new versions (like with Windows)
Actually there used to be a Windows emulator for Linux (I think it was called SoftWindows, I do not know much details). It lost in compettion with more universal PC emulators like VMWare.

Mirek