VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by IMeganElisabeth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm trying to install Madeline European Adventures from MyAbandonware but no matter what compatibility I set it at I still get "This app can't run on your PC To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher." Was hoping someone would have some things I could try in order to be able to play this sentimental game? Thank you very much in advance for all responses.

Reply 1 of 11, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks like you need Windows 98SE or older to use it.

You could always install virtualbox, put Windows 98SE on that, and then install the game from the Windows 98SE virtual machine.
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

Best would be to have an older period correct computer to install Windows 98SE on.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 11, by IMeganElisabeth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So compatibility mode of windows 98 sometimes just doesn't work?

I've heard of installing virtual box but have never done anything like it.. how complex is it? I wouldn't be able to completely mess up my main OS system somehow could I?

Reply 3 of 11, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
IMeganElisabeth wrote:

I've heard of installing virtual box but have never done anything like it.. how complex is it? I wouldn't be able to completely mess up my main OS system somehow could I?

Nope, there's no danger to your main OS.

Windows 98 is a pain to set up in VirtualBox properly, though. It's better if you know what you're doing beforehand and have installed it on a real machine before.

If I recall correctly, the Madeline games ran on Windows 3.1. You might try installing Windows 3.1 in DOSBox; there are well documented ways to do that.

Also, I suggest you avoid mentioning M*A******ware again on this forum 😈 😎

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 4 of 11, by IMeganElisabeth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So am I understanding correctly that's it's basically just like running an app in windows 10 and when you're wanting to go back to using the main OS there is some sort of close option at the top of the virtual machine application options window that allows for it close the virtual machine as simply as closing something like chrome and you're back on main OS? I'm just scared of somehow not being able to switch back to my windows 10 machine and it not booting windows 10 on startup or something. Ah, thanks very much for the suggestion. I've seen some tutorials where you have to install a ton of video and sound files etc.. will this most likely be the case for me trying to run a game? My apologies. 😢

Reply 5 of 11, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
IMeganElisabeth wrote:

So am I understanding correctly that's it's basically just like running an app in windows 10 and when you're wanting to go back to using the main OS there is some sort of close option at the top of the virtual machine application options window that allows for it close the virtual machine as simply as closing something like chrome and you're back on main OS? I'm just scared of somehow not being able to switch back to my windows 10 machine and it not booting windows 10 on startup or something. Ah, thanks very much for the suggestion. I've seen some tutorials where you have to install a ton of video and sound files etc.. will this most likely be the case for me trying to run a game? My apologies.

You got it. A virtual machine is just like running an app - that's part of the whole idea of it; it's completely isolated from your main OS so it can't cause any damage, by definition. It's in its own little bubble and it has no idea it's not running on a real machine.

It's like the Matrix for an operating system 😈

And this is exactly what DOSBox is, too, just a virtual machine specifically configured to run DOS. As a result you can run Windows 3.1 on it, since Windows 3.1 was designed to run on top of DOS.

Running Windows 98 in VirtualBox is just more complicated. It's totally doable but if you've never installed Windows 98 before on a real machine, let alone a virtual one, I wish you luck figuring out the idiosyncrasies.

Reply 6 of 11, by IMeganElisabeth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote:
You got it. A virtual machine is just like running an app - that's part of the whole idea of it; it's completely isolated from y […]
Show full quote
IMeganElisabeth wrote:

So am I understanding correctly that's it's basically just like running an app in windows 10 and when you're wanting to go back to using the main OS there is some sort of close option at the top of the virtual machine application options window that allows for it close the virtual machine as simply as closing something like chrome and you're back on main OS? I'm just scared of somehow not being able to switch back to my windows 10 machine and it not booting windows 10 on startup or something. Ah, thanks very much for the suggestion. I've seen some tutorials where you have to install a ton of video and sound files etc.. will this most likely be the case for me trying to run a game? My apologies.

You got it. A virtual machine is just like running an app - that's part of the whole idea of it; it's completely isolated from your main OS so it can't cause any damage, by definition. It's in its own little bubble and it has no idea it's not running on a real machine.

It's like the Matrix for an operating system 😈

And this is exactly what DOSBox is, too, just a virtual machine specifically configured to run DOS. As a result you can run Windows 3.1 on it, since Windows 3.1 was designed to run on top of DOS.

Running Windows 98 in VirtualBox is just more complicated. It's totally doable but if you've never installed Windows 98 before on a real machine, let alone a virtual one, I wish you luck figuring out the idiosyncrasies.

Perfect. (: So even if I shut my PC down or it crashes without closing the virtual machine first when it reboots it will be my main OS as usual correct? So you somehow can download specific versions of Windows somewhere?

Ah, gotcha. Yep I have ages ago but would of course prefer the more simple option since it's for one game. Does windows 3.1 come with everything I would need to play the game or will I have to likely dig for other files to install or something?

Reply 7 of 11, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yep, it will not interfere with your main OS at all. If you restart or your computer crashes, your main OS will come up again as usual and you'd have to start your virtual machine again. The OS in the VM would complain about being shut down unexpectedly but that's all that would happen.

Windows 3.1 in DOSBox, hmm, let's see... you'll need the video and sound drivers to make it work. It's pretty straightforward though.

Somewhere, there is a very good guide to installing Windows 3.1 in DOSBox. I don't know where it is though... can someone link to it?

Reply 8 of 11, by IMeganElisabeth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote:

Yep, it will not interfere with your main OS at all. If you restart or your computer crashes, your main OS will come up again as usual and you'd have to start your virtual machine again. The OS in the VM would complain about being shut down unexpectedly but that's all that would happen.

Windows 3.1 in DOSBox, hmm, let's see... you'll need the video and sound drivers to make it work. It's pretty straightforward though.

Somewhere, there is a very good guide to installing Windows 3.1 in DOSBox. I don't know where it is though... can someone link to it?

I'm so glad I understand it all. 😁 🤣

Darn I was hoping it's just like when you installed OS originally where it's all wrapped in one. There are a gazillion files always out there to choose from. Lol

Thanks a bunch for all of your help. Am thinking maybe I should just take the plunge and go by YouTube videoed to go the Windows 98 route.. there are several other games from that 98 version from my childhood I'd love to play. Am just hoping I find the most direct YouTube tutorial to go buy as with everything it's too many options.

Reply 9 of 11, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you have Win7 Pro then you could try XP Mode, but Win3x in DOSBox is still probably your best bet.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 10 of 11, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
collector wrote:

If you have Win7 Pro then you could try XP Mode, but Win3x in DOSBox is still probably your best bet.

XP Mode in Windows 7 runs like a paraplegic sloth stuck in molasses.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 11 of 11, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:

XP Mode in Windows 7 runs like a paraplegic sloth stuck in molasses.

🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣