VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by blam666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently ran into an annoying little problem when trying to make Earthsiege 2 work perfectly on Windows 10. I know there are "Windows 95 via Dosbox" options for this game, but I still would like to play it natively in Win1064.

It's running quite well with a lot of tricks, one of them is enabling analogue joystick controls by setting "Emulate Joystick" for
the game exes in Microsoft's Compatibility Administrator.

Now here is the problem: When I try to patch one of the exes ("DBSIM.EXE") for getting redbook audio tracks to play, inmm does its joy like expected for the music, but the joystick controls /emulation cease to work.
Now, you can of course mount an bin/cue image of the game cd in a virtual drive playing the correct songs, but they never loop (a classical problem with redbook audio on contemporary systems AFAIR).

So you either have analogue joystick controls (which is especially nice to have when flying jets in that game) or persistent background music, damn.

I'm puzzled by this behaviour, maybe inmm.dll changes something in the soundblaster calls, and, as back then joystick were all attached to soundcards, this somehow messes up the settings.

Do you folks know more about tools/emulation settings for virtual drives to fix this classical "loop"problem WITHOUT using inmm.dll? Or some trick to make inmm.dll refrain from killing joystick compatibility as I described above? I'd be very happy to know.

Reply 1 of 4, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's running quite well with a lot of tricks, one of them is enabling analogue joystick controls by setting "Emulate Joystick" for
the game exes in Microsoft's Compatibility Administrator.

Now here is the problem: When I try to patch one of the exes ("DBSIM.EXE") for getting redbook audio tracks to play, inmm does its joy like expected for the music, but the joystick controls /emulation cease to work.

Or maybe you registered the game exe together with the file's checksum in the CA, and *then* patched the game, causing the compatibility fixes not to trigger.

Reply 2 of 4, by blam666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried all methods, first patching with inmm.dll and then adding the fix, as well as the other way round. Didn't change a thing. I of course deinstalled every CAs setting/shim after each new attempt (must have been hundreds or so, 🤣) to make sure there is nothing interfering.

Or do you hint at the "matching files" section? I tried several options there, no matching files at all, just the exes, and some other options, as I was given a hint about that before, but that also didn't seem to change anything,