VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey folks,

Was trying to get Gizmos and Gadgets (CD version) working in Win 7 today and got it eventually, hopefully this will be of use to someone.

Basically, the downloadable versions on the Web are all the updated version (timeline- floppy, CD Win 3.1, CD Win 32 bit), so although it will natively open on any OS, it's broken on both Win 3.1 (32-bit apps not openable), and 7 and beyond (MIDI driver error, nothing to do with actual MIDI drivers installed). (Might work on XP?)

Anyway, I finally realised I still have the CD on my games shelf, so I loaded it and it contained both the Win versions, which was pretty awesome. Once I had the Win 3.1 version I could play it through DOSBox.

The only thing missing from the Win32 versions that can be found online as I mentioned is the 16-bit executable, SSGWINCD.exe (versus SSGWIN32.exe).
If anyone needs it, just contact me. Hopefully this will be useful for anyone trying to get the CD version working!

Reply 2 of 4, by SuperSawlver22

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I'm still trying to get the CD to work, and tried adding the midimap.cfg file to System32, with no luck. Do you know where the application is looking for this information? I've tried pasting that empty .cfg into every folder in the program folders too xD