VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DosDaddy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Can anybody confirm whether or not this is the intended behavior? It's running on a P4 + 32-bit WinXP, and while everything within the game appears to function adequately, FltSim95.Exe's decided to hog 3.8ghz worth of CPU cycles all to itself (yes I know the fix, but that's besides the point)

Just trying to discard something potentially wrong with my system, but given the type of game we're dealing with and the fact that there aren't any memory leaks accompanying it, I'd dare saying "probably ok".

Thanks in advance.

Reply 2 of 2, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Any game that doesn't limit its frame-rate and sleeps until the time comes for the next frame hogs entire CPU core. Some of them limit the frame rate, but busy-wait until the next frame, resulting in full CPU core utilization. Do note that on multi-core machines, utilization will be less since 100% CPU utilization on Windows means all cores are fully busy, an unlikely scenario for old games. Pinball game that came with Windows NT 4.0 and was bundled with Microsoft Plus! for Windows 95 also behaves that way. The Windows XP version was fixed to run at 120 FPS.

Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.