VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by MagicPink

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just managed to find an old copy of this. How well does it work in Windows XP if at all?

Reply 1 of 6, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can't talk for XP, but I installed and ran it in 2000 with absolutely no problems if that's any help.

Well, apart from the fact that I suck at it...

Intel CC820 | PIII 667 | 2x128MB SDRAM | 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 @ Dell P790 | Creative SB PCI128 | Fujitsu MPC3064AT 6GB + QUANTUM FIREBALLlct10 10 GB | SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-608 | IOMEGA ZIP 100 | Realtek RTL8139C | Agere Win Modem

Reply 5 of 6, by MagicPink

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Surprise!

It doesn't work in XP.

It has the same problem that apparently the other WIndows OSs had: it freezes when you click install. They say on lucasarts that to get it to work I need to make a boot disk but they only give instructions for doing it in 95 and 98:

edit: Or I could just use Compatibility mode set to Windows 2000.

Reply 6 of 6, by CinciTech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If they're telling you to make a boot disk for 95/98, then it's probably a DOS-friendly game, not a Windows-friendly game. Typically, you will have trouble running DOS games under NT/2000/XP.

That said, you might give DOSBox a try. I was recommended it by the community here, and it's run a few DOS games for me without any problem on XP Pro. Might just be the way to get your game running again...