VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by trist007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am running Windows XP and it keeps crashing a few minutes in. It's patched to the latest patch. Is there anything I can do to lessen the crashes? Will it crash less running on Windows 98SE?

-Tristan

Reply 1 of 7, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

SimCopter's one of those infamous finicky games (along with its relative Streets of Simcity), they're so unstable they'll want Win9x for best results, and a slower processor at that as well (~200MHz at best).

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 7, by batterymandark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
trist007 wrote:

I am running Windows XP and it keeps crashing a few minutes in. It's patched to the latest patch. Is there anything I can do to lessen the crashes? Will it crash less running on Windows 98SE?

-Tristan

This would probably not apply to windows xp, since xp use Direct X 9.
However this information could still be usefull if you consider running Simcopter on windows 7 or never

You might want to give dgvoodoo 2 a change and use force vsync.
The crashing is indeed beacuse its running too fast.
However vsync the game with dgvoodoo wil set the game at 60 hz or what you display like.
My point is, try to keep the game at 60 fps or lower, maybe 30 if you can.

Since dgvoodoo will translate simcopter to Direct X 11, you can use MSI afterburner to lock the fps at a costum framerate.

Reply 4 of 7, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For me on Windows XP SP3 on a Core 2 Duo PC, using DXWnd to limit the framerate to around 30-45fps (I personally like it around that) works wonders. Haven't had any problems with crashes, running too fast, or anything like that after doing so.

Reply 7 of 7, by hwh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

IIRC Simcopter works pretty much as designed on XP. I guess "Compatibility mode" for 95 is correct, although my impression of that is it never does much of anything. I won't say the game never crashes, but no more so than under its native environment, maybe once in several hours. I think that was with my i5-750.

So why is it crashing? I suppose it has to do with drivers or video acceleration. Could even be sound. Also IIRC Simcopter is software rendered. So the less you mess with it via drivers, the better I think.