VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Roman78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I encountered a strange problem on my Mac Mini Retro machine running XP. I like the mini because it's low power consumption and the possibility to run XP and so older games. I made a triple boot of it, OSX 10.6.8 for Rosetta PPC support, 10.9.5 for some modern stuff and Windows XP for my old document scanner and of course... GAMES...

Now I encountered a strange problem, as far as I could surround the problem it is whit 16-bit applications. The application would start but not be displayed on the screen, than when i'm shutting down the application would be on the screen for a second before shutting down.

For example: I wanted to install Half Life (I know its better on W98). I see the Setup.exe running within wowexec.exe in the Task Manager, so i assume it is a 16-bit installer. But nothing appearing on the screen. So when shutting down the Sierra Logo appears for a second before shutting down. Had the same problem whit the installer of Photoshop 5, 5.5 and 6.

On the Virtual Machine running XP on the OSX 10.9.5 installation i don't have any problems.

Reply 1 of 6, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Half Life is a 32-bit game. It is possible that it has a 16-bit installer, though (anyone can confirm?). If this is so, and 16-bit applications don't run for any reason, just use the tips for installing the same game/app on a 64-bit system. This may involve installing the game on another system (where it works) and copying the installation folder, or using an alternative 32-bit installer, if available.

Reply 2 of 6, by DosDaddy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Roman78 wrote:

For example: I wanted to install Half Life (I know its better on W98)

I'm afraid this isn't true at all if WinXP is working correctly, which apparently isn't.

Now I remember being able to install my original HL CD (the very first one that came out) on XP without any trickery (not even compatibility modes were necessary) , but I was never able to get the game itself to run without at least one official update patch (tried the latest, but chances are it works with older ones as well), which's recommended for a multitude of other reasons anyways.

Reply 3 of 6, by Roman78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, someone told me, that Half Life runs better on W9x than on XP. While installing on the Virtual machine I also got an message about some compatibility issues.

But never the less, something is wrong whit my installation. But what. Now i just wanted to install Carmageddon II, and the same again.

error.JPG
Filename
error.JPG
File size
24.47 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 6, by DosDaddy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Incidentally I just had Carma2 and Carma3 installed just a few days ago and no problem either.

This kind of goes without saying, but have made you made sure there are no unrelated ntvdm's lingering in the background? Seeing the screenshot made me recall a similar problem I had a long time ago.

Reply 5 of 6, by Roman78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmmm indeed. when i kill the ntvdm also the setup.exe and wowexec.exe are gone. But when i start an installer again (this time Rainbow Six) they all come back.

I'm just digitalizing - no wait wrong word - eeeehhh I'm just converting my 20 year old cd's into images and store those on an external hard disk . Found out lately that some of my cd's are faulty, so i start this procedure. While i'm sick at home 😐

What can i do about the ntvdm? What could be wrong?