VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by IMeganElisabeth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Has anyone successfully tried this..? https://www.groovypost.com/howto/enable-16-bi … ort-windows-10/

Reply 1 of 12, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The downside is that you need a 32 bit edition of Windows 10, and that's very uncommon (until you have a low-spec notebook). It won't work in 64 bit editions.

If you got a 64 bit edition, you should try either:
- Using DOSBox with Windows 3.x installed (but because lack of support of SHARE.EXE, some applications won't work).
- Use PCem and create a 486 or Pentium PC with Windows 95 installed (will need a decent PC).
- Use any virtual machine (i.e.: VMWare or Virtualbox) and install Windows 95 with your applications.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 2 of 12, by IMeganElisabeth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Zup wrote:
The downside is that you need a 32 bit edition of Windows 10, and that's very uncommon (until you have a low-spec notebook). It […]
Show full quote

The downside is that you need a 32 bit edition of Windows 10, and that's very uncommon (until you have a low-spec notebook). It won't work in 64 bit editions.

- Using DOSBox with Windows 3.x installed (but because lack of support of SHARE.EXE, some applications won't work).
- Use PCem and create a 486 or Pentium PC with Windows 95 installed (will need a decent PC).
- Use any virtual machine (i.e.: VMWare or Virtualbox) and install Windows 95 with your applications.

Ah. Darn. I was misreading and thought it meant this would work with 64 bit Windows 10 as well. Too good to be true. Lol Yep I’m using PCem as well as VirtualBox but thought this was an easier fix with games that just had the 16 bit issue with the installer. Thanks so much!

Reply 3 of 12, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
IMeganElisabeth wrote:
Zup wrote:
The downside is that you need a 32 bit edition of Windows 10, and that's very uncommon (until you have a low-spec notebook). It […]
Show full quote

Ah. Darn. I was misreading and thought it meant this would work with 64 bit Windows 10 as well. Too good to be true. Lol Yep I’m using PCem as well as VirtualBox but thought this was an easier fix with games that just had the 16 bit issue with the installer. Thanks so much!

Just search for BoxedWine and WineVDM. It might be what you're looking for.

Reply 4 of 12, by IMeganElisabeth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
filipetolhuizen wrote:
IMeganElisabeth wrote:
Zup wrote:
Show full quote

Just search for BoxedWine and WineVDM. It might be what you're looking for.

Thank you very much! I just wish there was a way to accomplish it natively in Windows 10 to have it used with my hardware and 3D supported fully. With either of those are you able to transfer/copy files from emulator to host? As in the game after it’s been installed with the 16 bit installer?

Reply 5 of 12, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I haven't tried the emulators as I'm still on Win 32 bits, but they all seem to be those that open the desired program right away like ntvdm or wowexec. BTW, which Win16 title that relies on 3D hardware?
I forgot there's also NTVDM64 for DOS games/applications to be run directly under 64 bits versions of Windows.

Reply 6 of 12, by IMeganElisabeth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
filipetolhuizen wrote:

I haven't tried the emulators as I'm still on Win 32 bits, but they all seem to be those that open the desired program right away like ntvdm or wowexec. BTW, which Win16 title that relies on 3D hardware?
I forgot there's also NTVDM64 for DOS games/applications to be run directly under 64 bits versions of Windows.

Ah okay. Never mind 🤣 misspoke. Thank you for that! Am hoping maybe one of them will allow me to install and then copy to my Windows 10 so I can use fullscreen native resolution and try with DgVoodoo/ReShade.

Reply 10 of 12, by IMeganElisabeth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
filipetolhuizen wrote:

I've never been able to successfully enter fullscreen mode with any Win3.x game under any NT based Windows.

Oh dang, really? I feel lucky my childhood game is then!

Reply 11 of 12, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

At least all of them I tested crashed or stopped responding right away (Fury3 and Nitemare 3D). Fury3 will not even allow fullscreen mode if it detects a NT based Windows. Running it in Win9x compatibiliy mode will allow selecting it, crashing right upon selecting. Maybe those emulators have it fixed, though.

Reply 12 of 12, by IMeganElisabeth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
filipetolhuizen wrote:

At least all of them I tested crashed or stopped responding right away (Fury3 and Nitemare 3D). Fury3 will not even allow fullscreen mode if it detects a NT based Windows. Running it in Win9x compatibiliy mode will allow selecting it, crashing right upon selecting. Maybe those emulators have it fixed, though.

Oh wow. That’s definitely good to know for future. It’s most likely because my childhood game is a pretty basic non intensive graphics game. They must’ve allowed the option. Or fixing it like you’ve said which would be great.