VOGONS

First post, by Qjimbo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm looking to install Windows 98se on my new build, but it has 4GB of RAM as the build will also be used for Windows XP. This means it will suffer from Windows 98's 512MB ram limit problem.

The ram is 4x 1GB sticks, so I can't get into Windows 98se by removing some of them - it will be completely inaccessible, which means I can't install the unofficial SP3 for Windows 98 either. I need some simple way just to quickly fix the RAM limit issue so I can get into Windows. Is there a pre-patched ISO somewhere? An image I can put on a USB stick that will make it easier? Also looking for free options so R. Loew's patch isn't an option.

Really appreciate any help and suggestions. Thanks!

Follow me on twitter

Reply 1 of 2, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Easiest way would be to get a 512MB stick, intall Win98, install a RAM patch and then put the 4x1GB sticks back in.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 2, by squiggly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Burn HIMEMX onto a second CD. After the first reboot during the WIN98 install start up in "Dos with CDROM support" (or whatever it is called), and copy the HIMEMX driver to C: drive somewhere, then make the necessary edits to config.sys using the editor that come sosmewhere on the WIN98 install CD (can't remember where but I found it once). You will not get far with >1GB and no HIMEMX, trust me.