VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

F1 Racing Simulation, and possible the Monaco Grand Prix Racing Simulation 2 sequel, both suffer from a frame rate issue, whether running the Glide version under dgVoodoo2 or nGlide or the Direct3D version under dgVoodoo2.

In short, despite the game hitting 60fps, it feels like it's running on slow motion, as if the game needs to run at 85hz or so, so is running slowly instead.

My monitor can run at 60, 120 and 144hz, running the game in the higher ones it runs way too fast. I no longer have my old monitor which could run 85hz.

There is talk on the nGlide forum of using DxWnd with WineD3D to get it more stable (I assume this would be the D3D version only). Are there any other suggestions?

It's possible the similarly engined POD/ POD Gold might suffer the same issue.

Related thread: http://www.zeus-software.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2081

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 1 of 11, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't have any experience with F1RS, but I do recall having apparent timing issues with MGPRS2 on faster machines even with a real 3dfx card. I recall playing MGPRS2 without issues on a Pentium MMX processor with a Voodoo2. However, on a Pentium III 933 MHz system with a Voodoo5, MGPRS2 would play properly for several seconds at a time, completely stop and then resume for several seconds and then stop ad infinitum. I tried everything I could think of, but I could never find a way around the issue. I also recall others reporting the same issue, but never heard anyone suggest a solution. It was one of the weirdest timing/performance issues I have ever seen (approximately 15 years ago).

Reply 2 of 11, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just had a play with Nvidia Inspector, and locking the FPS to something around 80-85fps makes the clock run almost correct (running it next to a stopwatch 🤣).

I'll research it a bit more, and check POD Gold, Speed Busters, which I think might have used the same engine.

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 3 of 11, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

thanks for this thread as i am also at the present time trying to get alot of old PC F1 games running - i had this same problem with F1RS - if i ran it with nglide and vsync turned on then it runs just that bit slow, and controls feel like i am pushing through clay - if though i turn off the vsync it will run extremely fast, too fast to be playable.

My workaround has been to run the game not via the 3dfx installation version, but the D3D version instead and run it through DXwnd and in those settings modifying the Timing settings - as it was still running just a little too fast in D3D dxwnd also.
i have Frames per second boxes Limit and Skip checked and delay at 10 msec. I have CPU Slow down and CPU Max usage also checked with ratio at 1:4. - i am not sure these are the best options, perhaps one who knows DXwnd better could find a better way, but this has brought the game for me into a more playable realm.

Reply 4 of 11, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DXwnd could well be a solution, but Nvidia Inspector and limiting the framerate to around 85fps seems decent too.

Just had a play with POD Gold (is fine, though I've got various patches and stuff on that I think) and Speed Busters = waaay too fast generally, probably needs similar hacking.

Reply 6 of 11, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

https://ci.appveyor.com/project/Orbmu2k/nvidi … build/artifacts

More: https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-in … nd-settings/12/

p.s. I have GSYNC :-p

Reply 7 of 11, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
VirtuaIceMan wrote:

DXwnd could well be a solution, but Nvidia Inspector and limiting the framerate to around 85fps seems decent too.

Just had a play with POD Gold (is fine, though I've got various patches and stuff on that I think) and Speed Busters = waaay too fast generally, probably needs similar hacking.

I play with pod gold and nglide with a 60 and 144hz monitor and no problem.

Reply 8 of 11, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah I tested POD Gold, it's fine. Speed Busters is a very different kettle of fish (at least in DirectX)

Reply 9 of 11, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As I said on Zeus forum:

The solution for me, it turns out, is quite simple: use nGlide and set refresh rate in nGlide configurator to 85hz. It's still a little slow, I think it'd prefer 90hz, but my screen only does 85hz then 100hz (too fast).

nGlide also looks better than dgVoodoo2 (which has lots of pixelated break up around some items on the 2D display, and dark borders around transparent textures, whether Glide or D3D) and native D3D (which runs super low texture quality).