VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Jules13

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I see you on Ken's site and the sierra forums every now and then...you seem to pop up and solve tech questions with such ease and suaveness!(if that's spelled right) well anyway, here's my problem...

XP - I install Phantas 2 and it gets to 31% then says that it wasnt installed correctly...well duh. So I try to play it anyway and I get the 999.pal internal error. Ok so then I uninstall it (of what's on my computer) using the uninstaller. Then I reinstall it and lo and behold, it doesnt even install...instead it gives me a 'can't find gdi.dll' error. What?!? the uninstall deleted that file?

Well, now i'm searching high and low for this file and I find out that it's only related to win95 and 98?? XP only has gdi (the application) and gdi32.dll. What ever shall I do?

Reply 1 of 6, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't have Phantasmagoria 2, so I haven't tried it under XP. See if this thread thread helps: Phantasmagoria 2 Problem

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 2 of 6, by Jules13

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

no no no that didn't work. But! I figured it out on my own! I had to install a patch that let me install the Dos version of PH2. The cd only has the Windows setup. If anyone needs the link to the patch, let me know and I'll post it. The only thing was, the sound was a bit choppy so I ran it in VDMS...works great! Thanks for your help, collector 😀

Reply 3 of 6, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Glad that you managed to get it going. Many of the Sierra Windows games don't like 2k/XP. Sierra's DOS games usually only have timer problems, which are, at last, being fixed by NewRisingSun. http://geocities.com/belzorash/

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 6 of 6, by tomlow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

uhm, i thought we were talking about getting the nice win95 version to work.
this solution transforms the win version into the dos version.
now you still have the ugly, 8-bit dos movies right?
or does this look better than the original dos version?

let me know if anyone actually can get the win95 version to work with XP.

thanks anyway