VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi! continuing with my olf F1 games binge, I have gotten F1 99 recently and have it currently running with DXWND however i only have it able to run in jsut a small window in the top left corner of hte screen, - i am sure there is someway to have it play in a bigger window but am not sure what exactly. Also the mouse cursor in the game menus constantly wants to drift leftwards, not sure how to fix this.

Can anyone tell me how best to get it working? will DGvoodoo2 work for it better?

Reply 1 of 8, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'll have a look later, I think it works for me, but it might need some workarounds and/or dgVoodoo2.

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 2 of 8, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

thanks - yes if you can ge tit running with dgvoodoo i would like to know what the right settings are - currently if i use dgvoodoo, it starts but the screen remains black

Reply 3 of 8, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Right, when I looked at it there's a confusing selection of things I had running, but I can boil it down to this:

1. First black screen is likely to be the video intro; these were coded in an old Indeo codec and don't show, hit escape to skip it.

2. New exe file, I think this must be the game copy world no-cd. The original crashes when getting to the menu (after the opening logos).

3. I can only see intro video/in-game track videos (although they flicker badly) if I use WinXP compatibility on the F1-99.exe and NO Glide wrapper. However, all the in-game 2D menus/text elements (and even trees etc) look horrible, with bad black edges.

So, in short, I'm running a different .exe file with no compatibility against it, then added dgVoodoo2 (2.55 works for me). In dgVoodoo I have the DirectX tab set to Resolution = Unforced (so 640x480!), as setting it higher just seems to give me a black screen.

Regarding the picture being small in the corner/small generally, in my Nvidia control panel, under Display > Adjust desktop size and position, I have Scaling set to Aspect ratio, perform scaling on GPU and Override the scaling mode set by games and programs ticked.

One last thing: much like earlier Formula 1 games by Bizarre Creations/Psygnosis, it looks a bit terrible if you enable anti-aliasing, the only solution is to use FXAA in Nvidia, instead of other anti-aliasing options (leave dgVoodoo set to App driven anti-aliasing).

Oh yeah, and the controls, you have to use keys for accelerate/brake to navigate (and possibly gears too), so it's a bit of a faff if you're trying to use keyboard!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 4 of 8, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

🤣 I realised I tried converting videos to Indeo 3.2 in the past, but the actual fix (to get Indeo 5 videos working) is just to register the dll in Administrator mode, see here: Formula 1 99 vs Indeo 5

Secondly, confirmation you need the no-CD exe, it's a bug with mcicda.dll. The no-CD exe actually still needs the CD anyway :-p see here: Formula 1 99 (Psygnosis) - a workaround for mcicda.dll error

Reply 6 of 8, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i think i found a happy medium - if i run it through Dxwnd still but have the 640x480 mode selected in compat settings and also have the dgvoodoo files present then i get a full screen enough game and it plays with a classic kind of ps1 style pixellation of textures, which i actually quite prefer more than the attempts to try and smooth everything out which late 90s and early 2000s accelerated 3d graphics tried to do, but which just made things bland and featureless i find

Reply 7 of 8, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Agathosdaimon wrote:

thanks for this info, though i dont understand what in need to to do reigster dlls in admin mode - what dlls and how to i do this?

Read my other post. It's just too try to get the videos working.

Reply 8 of 8, by kikorosa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've tried dgVoodoo2 and it's the patch that works best. However when I press Start to do another activity it is impossible to return to the game. Is there a way to continue playing after hitting Start or some way to save the game? The only way to do this is between races in a championship, but if I have something urgent to do on the PC I can't finish the race first and then exit.