VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Jens

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everybody!

I'm running Win 1.0c from 1986. When starting, the screen is full of random ASCII symbols (is that normal?). After 10 (or so) sec. the Microsoft-logo scrolls in, the file-manager starts and shows content of c:\

So far so good. Then Win crashes when selecting a menue item, when trying to start a program (like clock.exe), sometimes the hourglass appears, before it crashes, sometimes it crashes just so. Crash means, that it kills Dosbox, too = needs strg+alt+del.

It makes no difference if i set up win 1.0 with a cga, ega or hercules display, if i install mouse.drv or not.
My conf-settings are minimal = everything sophisticated, like sound, ems, umb switched off.
Autoexec settings are (somewhere i've read to do this, is the syntax correct?)

ver set 4
cd windows
ver set win100.bin 3.34
win.com

is the first ver for DOS-version? Do two ver in a row work?

Sometimes, before crashing, a box pops up "Not enaugh memory to run this program". So i think it's rather the memory management than the display emulation that causes the error. (By the way, Win 2.0 from 1987 and my super-duper-collection of even older DOS-programs run - more or less - stable.)

Thats all... Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
Jens

Reply 1 of 3, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jens wrote:

Hello everybody!

Hi Jens! 😀

Jens wrote:

I'm running Win 1.0c from 1986. When starting, the screen is full of random ASCII symbols (is that normal?).

With beeping sounds ? Yes. It also happens with Windows 2.x if you are using DOS 5/6.

Jens wrote:
ver set 4 cd windows ver set win100.bin 3.34 win.com […]
Show full quote

ver set 4
cd windows
ver set win100.bin 3.34
win.com

is the first ver for DOS-version? Do two ver in a row work?

Yes and yes. The first one is global, the second one for a Windows sytem file only.
- But Windows 1.0 came out in ~'84, DOS 4 in 1988.
Thus Windows 1.0 can't know about DOS 4 (at least not in its original from).

Something like DOS 2.11 or DOS 3.x would be more appropiate.

Here's what I use for Windows 2.03 :

[win2.bat for DosBox]
ver set 3 30
lh win

[win2.bat for DOS]
dosver
dosver /V:3.30
lh win

DOSVER is a thrid-party program that is freeware.
For Windows 1.0, you may require to boot off a DOS 2.x bootable disk.
Unlike Windows 2.x, it is very picky and unstable.
I got it working myself in PCem and 86Box (video) and on a real PC/XT compatible running DCP (video).
So it might be better if you are using the latest Windows 1.x release.

Good luck! 😀

Best regards,
Jo22

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 3, by Jens

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Jo22!

Thanks for your tips! I tried it out... If fact, it is a matter of the DOS-version, and it' s simple.

In DOSBOX:

[autoexec]
ver set 3 34
win.bat

In win.bat: *** NOTHING *** more re. versions!!! Win starts & is stable, the mentioned ASCII-starting mix-up has vanished, too (unlike yours it never beeped, so does'nt my win 2.0c either).

My error was the second ver in win.bat for the windows-file, as Dosbox does'nt understand dots. Example: ver set file.com 3.34 is beeing interpreted as .34 = reported version 0.03(?) = would'nt work.

Greetings
Jens

Reply 3 of 3, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi Jens, you're welcome.

I'm glad it works now! 😀

Best regards,
Jo22

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//