VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Anryinvest

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is it possible to make music working in Outlaws without CD under win95/98? Maybe patch or something? I want to make portable multiplatform install of this game with DosBox+Win9x. Besides music the game works perfectly there. I tried GOG version, it works well, but no music either.

Reply 2 of 10, by Anryinvest

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried this way in past(with VirtualCloneDrive) and:
1)It didn't work. I installed the game normally, but no music again.
2)There's compatibility issue. For some reason if found that DosBox 0.74 compatibility is not the same on diffirent platforms. VirtualCloneDrive doesn't work for me on Mac version of 0.74. With similar setting and the same image files. This happens with several other Dos and Windows apps under Mac version of DosBox(for example dos version of Mame emulator didn't work for me in 0.74 for Mac). And I generally want to make multiplatform solution to run games.

Reply 3 of 10, by Anryinvest

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There was a solution https://www.replaying.de/forum/outlaws-ingame … patch-thread77/ that seem very close to what's needed. Combined Olgeo.lab and removing CD-check in music dll. But the link's outdated. Does anybody know anything about this patch?

Reply 4 of 10, by Marek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Virtual Clonedrive does not emulate audio. The old Win9x versions of Daemon Tools should work. It is also important that your soundcard driver can play sounds from multiple programs at once. Not all drivers did this on old Windows.

DOS-PC: DFI k6bv3+, Pentium 200mmx, 64 MB RAM, Terratec Maestro 32 sound card, Roland MT-32 + SC-155, Winner 2000 AVI 2MB, Voodoo 1, Win98SE
Windows PC: GigaByte GA-MA790GPT, Phenom II X4 905e, 12 GB RAM, M-Audio Delta 44, NVidia 1060 6 GB, Win7 pro x64

Reply 5 of 10, by Anryinvest

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks Marek. I will give it a try, but last time i tried I had problems with installing it under Win95OSR1 and Win98lite images, that i generally use. It required additional software which was not compatible with my Win9x versons for some reason. It's solveable problem ofcourse, but it doesn't make that way very convenient.

So if somebody has ideas/solutions on how to make working rip with music under win9x- please respond. It would be the best way of running this game.

Reply 7 of 10, by Anryinvest

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Very smart comment! Well done! Did you read what i wrote? Where in my post did I wrote that I pirated it or something?
I already bought it back in 90's smarty, since I don't recall the moment I thrown it away, then i'm almost sure it even lies somewhere in apartment or countryside cottage.
Now tell me, how do I use this cd's with my MacBook Air for example, or a smartphone? The best use for these cd's now is to place a cup of coffee on it.
Insinuating that somebody stole something is insult, you know?

Reply 8 of 10, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

_inmm should work in Windows 9x. I would just get the GoG release for the modified files for single cd playback and patch the music playback dll with _inmm.

Anryinvest wrote:

So if somebody has ideas/solutions on how to make working rip with music under win9x- please respond. It would be the best way of running this game.

Playing it natively on a modern computer is the best way of playing the game actually. On a Windows 9x based setup you're not getting Direct3D rendering at 2160p with 8x MSAA.

Reply 9 of 10, by Anryinvest

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I installed _inmm, ripped audio, converted it to mp3, created music folder, put all audio in music folder, patched olwin and lecmusic with _inmm, created ini file. Then I tried with patched olwin, lecmusic (one patched, one original) and both patched. In _inmm set player to DirectShow and WinAmp. On start of olwin.exe WinAmp starts too, but still no music. What do i do?

Well, GOG version has 2 drawbacks - it's not multiplatform, it's not very stable. It's only real advantage is that for 5 bucks you get this game working with music, which save a lot of time. It's still not clear how much time needed to make it work with music under win9x. As of Direct3d, this game looks better with software rendering, more crisp(IMHO). And you still can always enable glide in DosBox if you use SVN build. I have computer connected to big TV screen, so Outlaws looks really blurred and ugly when it is run with D3D or Glide.
I really believe that DosBox is the best way to launch Win9x games. PcEm is good too, but it's not multiplatform and much harder to setup, really overkill, since i was able to launch most of my fav win9x games in DosBox.

Reply 10 of 10, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

_inmm plays the files in _inmm.ini according to the method specified in the method tab as long as any program calls its dll (_inmm). If Winamp starts I'm guessing you have the method right (assuming you want to use Winamp), but not the list of files for Winamp to play (open _inmm.ini in a text editor and verify the paths are correct). Also verify Winamp can play the files. And that you have whatever Winamp version _inmm works with.

Anryinvest wrote:

As of Direct3d, this game looks better with software rendering, more crisp(IMHO). And you still can always enable glide in DosBox if you use SVN build. I have computer connected to big TV screen, so Outlaws looks really blurred and ugly when it is run with D3D or Glide.

You can disable most of the smoothing features (except lightning). Are you telling me this:

olwin2 2018-07-05 13-08-56-46.png
Filename
olwin2 2018-07-05 13-08-56-46.png
File size
365.85 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Looks better than this?:

olwin2 2018-07-05 13-24-52-27.png
Filename
olwin2 2018-07-05 13-24-52-27.png
File size
544.24 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

If it isn't obvious, the first screenshot is the software renderer at its maximum resolution 800x600 integer scaled to 1600x1200, the second screenshot is the Direct3D render at 1600x1200 native resolution.

Now two obvious things, first if you have a higher resolution monitor you can obviously get more quality out of the Direct3D render and second I would never actually play like it like that, I'm not getting into a long discussion about antialiasing and texture filtering, but I would turn them on for this game.

The Glide render has limited rendering accuracy due to its maximum resolution of 800x600 (and resolution forcing does not work).