VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, so I just finished building an Athlon XP 2800+ system hoping it could serve a dual purpose Windows 98SE and XP SP3 gaming.

I proceded to install Steam in Windows XP and the Steam browser doesn't work (apparently due to the browser requring SEE2-capable processors). Not a problem, less spam. Problem is, I can't download games either.
I just get the error that Steam cannot connect to the servers and queues the downloads indefinitely.

I tried everything I could find in Google:

• * Reinstall Steam
    * Clear the cache
    * Re-register the account
    * Clear the DNS cache
    * Reboot

Nothing worked.
I'm starting to wonder if there is a hardware issue where, like the browser, Steam requires SSE2-capable processors to work.

Does anyone here have Steam working on pre-SEE2 hardware, where they are able to download games?

Thanks

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3

Reply 1 of 3, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Think you are SOL with Steam. Would SteamCMD work?

I haven't checked to see if the steam dlls in the game folders require SSE2 or not.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 3, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Firtasik wrote:

General
Fixed client hanging on startup if your CPU didn't support SSE2. Note that SSE2 is still required for the Store, Community, Friends and Chat functionality in-client.

...and thats why I love this community!

Thanks Firtasik.
I'll try it out today and let you know.

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3