VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by genau_der

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!
Can you tell me which are the most demanding (in terms of hardware) games that run on Windows XP as latest OS?
My fastest XP machine I have at the moment is a AMD Socket 939 build with an Opteron 185 CPU and a Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT GPU (AGP).
Would this be fast enough to run the latest XP only games? Or would it be better to build a machine with more recent hardware (like i.e. Core i3 3240 with Geforce GTX 750 Ti)?

Thanks for your help!

genau_der

Reply 1 of 12, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Define XP games? It would do well with FEAR and Doom 3 for example but Crysis would crush it.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 3 of 12, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ask old hardware and OS related questions in Marvin. This forum is for DOS games on modern systems. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 4 of 12, by weldum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

it's hard to know, most if not all work right out of the box, with some requiring patches and workarounds (like securom and other drm software). one that comes to mind is GTA IV and expansions, but they only fail to install on Windows 10, in XP through 8.1 the installation is fine or fixable

other games could be the ones with a 16 bit installer that doesn't run on 64 bit os

DT: R7-5800X3D/R5-3600/R3-1200/P-G5400/FX-6100/i3-3225/P-8400/D-900/K6-2_550
LT: C-N2840/A64-TK57/N2600/N455/N270/C-ULV353/PM-1.7/P4-2.6/P133
TC: Esther-1000/Esther-400/Vortex86-366
Others: Drean C64c/Czerweny Spectrum 48k/Talent MSX DPC200/M512K/MP475

Reply 7 of 12, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No one knows. No one has tested every game ever on Windows 7 64-bit and made a list of the most hardware demanding ones that fail to run.

Wait until you actually have a problem before you try to solve it.

Reply 8 of 12, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
genau_der wrote:
Hi! Can you tell me which are the most demanding (in terms of hardware) games that run on Windows XP as latest OS? My fastest XP […]
Show full quote

Hi!
Can you tell me which are the most demanding (in terms of hardware) games that run on Windows XP as latest OS?
My fastest XP machine I have at the moment is a AMD Socket 939 build with an Opteron 185 CPU and a Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT GPU (AGP).
Would this be fast enough to run the latest XP only games? Or would it be better to build a machine with more recent hardware (like i.e. Core i3 3240 with Geforce GTX 750 Ti)?

Thanks for your help!

genau_der

It depends on how far you want to go. There's a certain time zone - from 2005 to 2009 - where most games work fine in both but sometimes work just better in XP. Personally, I'd go with a slightly newer card - preferably a lower end one so it doesn't have load fans and uses little power.

With CPUs that have multiple cores, I've noticed quite a few games have laggy mouse input unless you disable the cores. Other than that, on my rig (see i5-2500 set up below) I get EASILY a 99% success rate of any game that has Windows XP support.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870

Reply 9 of 12, by genau_der

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZellSF wrote:

No one knows. No one has tested every game ever on Windows 7 64-bit and made a list of the most hardware demanding ones that fail to run.

I didn't expect such a list. That's why I've asked this question to a community with many experienced users. I think the most hardware demanding games are ususally the blockbuster titles from the single years when they were released.
That's why I thought that it can only be a handful which run only on XP, but not on later OS versions. Maybe most games released in the XP era will run fine on Windows 7 and it's only some games from the Windows 98 era that will still run on XP but not on later versions.

Reply 10 of 12, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
genau_der wrote:
ZellSF wrote:

I didn't expect such a list. That's why I've asked this question to a community with many experienced users. I think the most hardware demanding games are ususally the blockbuster titles from the single years when they were released.
That's why I thought that it can only be a handful which run only on XP, but not on later OS versions. Maybe most games released in the XP era will run fine on Windows 7 and it's only some games from the Windows 98 era that will still run on XP but not on later versions.

I can't think of any blockbuster titles that run on Windows XP, but not Windows 7. Nowhere near a handful. It's mostly more obscure games that haven't been patched for Windows 7.

Even if I could think of a title, how exactly would it be a useful reference to you? Say I mention that Monopoly Tycoon runs badly on Windows 7, that's really only going to be relevant to you if you want to play Monopoly Tycoon. Otherwise spending money on hardware in case you ever want to play Monopoly Tycoon would be stupid, wouldn't it? That's why you need a list, to find the games relevant to you.

Reply 11 of 12, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZellSF wrote:

I can't think of any blockbuster titles that run on Windows XP, but not Windows 7. Nowhere near a handful. It's mostly more obscure games that haven't been patched for Windows 7.

Even if I could think of a title, how exactly would it be a useful reference to you? Say I mention that Monopoly Tycoon runs badly on Windows 7, that's really only going to be relevant to you if you want to play Monopoly Tycoon. Otherwise spending money on hardware in case you ever want to play Monopoly Tycoon would be stupid, wouldn't it? That's why you need a list, to find the games relevant to you.

There are quite a few "big" games that run well on Windows XP but poorly on Vista and up. Some have copy protection issues, others have massive glitches. Most have been fixed by all sorts of work arounds since these ARE big games so many people are invested to get them working but the work arounds are often shaky. For example, Desperados in Windows 8 and up is very sluggish due to DirectDraw being emulated.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870

Reply 12 of 12, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sure, out of the box there's a lot of games that run better on XP than Vista/7, but when you want to play a game is 5 minutes to configure it that big of a deal?

Since you didn't specifically mention it, I should say that Desperados of course can be made to run pretty great in 8+ (though OPs question was about 7). People have had success with dgVoodoo2, DXGL and DxWnd. Nothing shaky about any of those. Plus there's an official SDL2 compatibility upgrade now. Not to mention it would work great under emulation or virtualization, which would also be relevant to OP who might be considering investing quite a bit of money into hardware.