Common searches

Half-Life 1280x1024 in D3D

Topic actions

First post, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I found several tutorials describing how to hex-edit the executable to provide for higher resolutions in OpenGL, but nothing for D3D.

Does anybody know if there is a way to enable higher definitions in D3D? If so, how?

I want to run the game under D3D because OpenGL won't work with anti-aliasing.

Thank you

Reply 1 of 67, by RetroBoogie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have you seen this fan patch? https://neuwon.com/downloads.php?cat_id=3&download_id=58

Claims widescreen resolution support, it reportedly works on Windows 2000. Not sure about 98, if that's what you're doing.

Reply 3 of 67, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks again for the tip. Unfortunately, the installer bombed out under WinXP and the update did not work. Further, the author of this unofficial update is an abject prick and a complete piece of shit. Totally inexcusable. This is what I was presented with during installation:

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Filename
    Clipboard01.jpg
    File size
    41.54 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Clipboard02.jpg
    Filename
    Clipboard02.jpg
    File size
    37.83 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Clipboard03.jpg
    Filename
    Clipboard03.jpg
    File size
    32.34 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 4 of 67, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
KT7AGuy wrote:

Further, the author of this unofficial update is an abject prick and a complete piece of shit. Totally inexcusable. This is what I was presented with during installation:

Yep, I see what you mean there. I absolutely hate it when a software installer forces me to either sign up for some bogus service or install a piece of malware onto my computer. 😈

Reply 5 of 67, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried that HL1113 patch and noped out when it asked to register. Then I unpacked the files from the installer manually using Universal Extractor and overwrote my Half-Life files with the ones from the patch. I didn't see any new resolutions on the list. And it brought back the old issue I've had with 1.1.1.0 version of the game in the past, that thing with player temporarily getting stuck in the current position right after the map or the saved game is loaded. I don't recall what I did to fix that.

Edit: Actually, the thing with getting stuck is not 1.1.1.0 thing, it happens in later versions if the new clockwindow console variable is not set to 0 when playing single player. It was eventually fixed.

So I rolled back to 1.1.1.0 and modified hl.exe to add some extra resolutions, see the attachment. Theoretically, they should work in all modes (Software, OpenGL and Direct3D). Software renderer doesn't like wide aspect ratios.

Edit: this might need some more hacking. Having problems with the resolution, doesn't seem to apply as expected. Fixed since 22.9.2018

Edit2: OK, my problems have to do with old Direct3D being shaky on Windows 10. I applied DXPrimaryEmulation shim with -DisableMaxWindowedMode parameter via Compatibility Administrator and it sorta works, but I get the black screen when trying to return to menus. Guess it has to do with menus being GDI based and transitioning between menus and game doesn't work so well on newer systems, at least out-of-the-box. No problems in windowed mode.

Update 22.9.2018:

• "-24bpp" and "-32bpp" parameters are now effective for menus.
  • All resolutions supported by the graphics hardware are now exposed in video modes menu (only resolutions for software renderer are limited to the lower ones with 4:3 aspect ratio because higher ones crash).

Update 25.9.2018:

• Minor tweaks to hl.exe (bound check the resolution array, treat resolution related variables as unsigned, shorten DDraw EnumDisplayModes callback function).
  • Added plugin for automatic field of view adjustment for widescreens.

Update 6.10.2018

• Added patched executables for Half-Life v1.0.1.6 and Blue-Shift v1.0.0.1.
  • Fixed an issue in FOV patch for version 1.1.1.0 that caused FOV to be increased dramatically on the level transitions.

https://www.moddb.com/games/half-life/downloa … n-fov-mp3-patch

Last edited by UCyborg on 2018-11-07, 01:53. Edited 12 times in total.
Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 6 of 67, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried to reply before, but somehow it didn't go through after editing.

Thank you very much for your patch! Running it under WinXP SP3, D3D 1280x1024 doesn't work and instead runs in 1280x960 @ 60hz. Sliding load screens frequently hang when trying to load a saved game. Still, thank you very much for trying.

Reply 7 of 67, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's bugged a bit, but It should work if you go to video modes menu and click either Software/OpenGL and then Direct3D and confirm each time you launch the game.

The only differences between original and modified executable are the modified resolution list (there are actually multiple sources that put together the final list seen in videos modes menu), a conditional check that skips adding certain resolutions to the list for fullscreen Software/D3D modes and the memory check has been corrected so it treats the values as unsigned. The latter doesn't really make a difference under default circumstances since by default compatibility shim in Windows is enabled that reports maximum 2 GB of RAM, but I did it anyway for correctness.

I don't experience any delays when loading saves though. I guess there is another place in the code that causes resolution indices to get messed up or something so it picks 1280x960 instead of 1280x1024. This glitch always happens if resolution that usually wouldn't appear under Direct3D is selected.

On the unrelated note, did Direct3D mode in Half-Life ever work properly? You have to set gl_polyoffset -0.001 to fix the missing decals problem that occurs with default gl_polyoffset 0.1 setting. The underwater effects like fog are missing. I also noticed that forcing MSAA in Direct3D mode corrupts certain fonts, while OpenGL is fine. At least if you have a GPU with decent OpenGL support. There's this odd feature (gl_overbright 1) that only works in Direct3D mode.

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 8 of 67, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not a Half-Life expert by any means. I didn't realize that D3D mode had so many issues. I've got OpenGL working at both 1280x1024 and 1680x1050 without any problems. Anti-aliasing just doesn't work and I can live with that.

Thanks again for trying. When I get a chance I'll try out your patch again and see if I can make it work with your tips.

Edit: For those who might be curious or care to try it; Blue Man Group's "Audio" is a fantastic replacement for the original Half-Life soundtrack. Just pop it in your optical drive in place of the installer CD-ROM. I think I actually prefer it to the original game soundtrack.

Reply 9 of 67, by RetroBoogie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Glad you got it sorted. I'm still using goty retail disc and need to go back and finish this game. What kind of frame rates do you get in OpenGL? I tried replacing the default Voodoo .dll with a wrapper (I forget which one, I thing WickedGL?) to be able to run it better with a GeForce 4 Ti 4600.

Reply 10 of 67, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm running the game on this system at 1280x1024 @ 60hz:

WinXP Pro SP3
PC Chips M861G v1.6a
Athlon 64 3400+ Venice @ 2.4Ghz
1GB PC3200 RAM
GeForce 6800GT (Drivers v197.45)
Audigy 2 ZS

With all the GeForce options tuned for best appearance, I get a solid 60 FPS with VSYNC enabled. I'll turn off VSYNC and reset the graphics drivers' settings to defaults and let you know what I get. It may be awhile though. I've got things torn apart for maintenance at the moment.

(I think that a GF4 would get similar results. A 6800GT for Half-Life is totally overkill. A GF4 is overkill too.)

((I originally enjoyed Half-Life in 2002 on a ThinkPad T23 running Win2K with some sort of S3 Savage that barely competed with a Voodoo 3 at the time. It ran just fine on that T23 too.))

(((Wasn't Half-Life originally optimized to run with Voodoo 2 cards?)))

Reply 11 of 67, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
KT7AGuy wrote:

(((Wasn't Half-Life originally optimized to run with Voodoo 2 cards?)))

Fortunately Half-Life isn't the case of late GLQuake/Quake2 so there's no Voodoo-specific gamma visual differences, so nope.

HL does have optimized defaults for the Riva 128, TNT, Permedia 2, 3dfx V1/V2, PowerVR PCX2 and the PowerVR SG (Which slipped into the next year as Neon250 of course)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 12 of 67, by Marek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there any reason not to play the most recent version on Steam?
Btw, registering the key in Steam gives you all the early Valve games prior the release of Steam at once.

DOS-PC: DFI k6bv3+, Pentium 200mmx, 64 MB RAM, Terratec Maestro 32 sound card, Roland MT-32 + SC-155, Winner 2000 AVI 2MB, Voodoo 1, Win98SE
Windows PC: GigaByte GA-MA790GPT, Phenom II X4 905e, 12 GB RAM, M-Audio Delta 44, NVidia 1060 6 GB, Win7 pro x64

Reply 13 of 67, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Renderer regressions (No Direct3D, and OpenGL has more bugs) and being forced to use lower quality MP3s as audiotracks are a couple reasons, and you can't run it on anything less than Win7 in a few months from now.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 14 of 67, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Marek wrote:

Is there any reason not to play the most recent version on Steam?

What leileilol said. Also:

My old CD version of the game still works just fine without needing to phone home or install any online clients. I don't need any trading cards or achievements or other silly useless bullshit, and I don't feel any need to share how many hours I've spent playing the game. Also, their recent announcement with regards to continued XP support has given me cause to never spend another penny for their service.

A company as large and wealthy as Valve could easily release an unsupported legacy client for XP as a show of goodwill. Their decision is a big, fat, raised middle finger and FU right to the face of the legacy and retro computing communities. For that, I'll avoid STEAM as much as I possibly can in the future.

There's a reason I prefer older titles, and it's because modern PC gaming blows. (The Witcher games are one of the very few exceptions.) It's become more about harvesting your personal data and micro-transactions than anything else. I don't have to tolerate it and neither do you. Alternatives still exist. $600+ for a new video card? You gotta be joking. Win10 is just the icing on the urinal cake. I'll pass.

Seriously, my legacy gaming backlog is large enough that I won't have time to catch up before I die. I've also stockpiled enough spare parts to last me the rest of my life. I'll be just fine without STEAM.

Anyway, we already have a thread to discuss this topic over here.

Reply 15 of 67, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think WON version of Half-Life is horrible for its stupid resolution switching to 640x480 for menus and it doesn't even play MP3 soundtracks for expansion packs, it always reads music files from valve/media folder.

I'd suggest checking out alternative engines to play Half-Life and its mods with, namely Xash3D or its fork FWGS. Unlike Valve, these guys actually care about Half-Life.

Reply 16 of 67, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
KT7AGuy wrote:

My old CD version of the game still works just fine without needing to phone home or install any online clients. I don't need any trading cards or achievements or other silly useless bullshit, and I don't feel any need to share how many hours I've spent playing the game. Also, their recent announcement with regards to continued XP support has given me cause to never spend another penny for their service.

A company as large and wealthy as Valve could easily release an unsupported legacy client for XP as a show of goodwill. Their decision is a big, fat, raised middle finger and FU right to the face of the legacy and retro computing communities. For that, I'll avoid STEAM as much as I possibly can in the future.

Quoted For the Truth.

Only thing I use Steam for are occasional indie games that can't be found anywhere else (Aviary Attorney, Naissance, Legendary Gary). GOG is my go-to service and before you ask, yes, I keep offline installers as a backup.

Reply 17 of 67, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
KT7AGuy wrote:
Marek wrote:

There's a reason I prefer older titles, and it's because modern PC gaming blows.

Speaking as someone who prefers console gaming to PC gaming (though I love both), modern console gaming is mostly pretty bad too. Games are largely unimaginative, simplified so that any casual person can play through them with little thought, and concentrate far too much on great graphics and having a 'movie like experience'. And console gamers, like PC gamers, are treated as unpaid beta testers. Actually, we ourselves pay the companies to let us beta test their games - I bought Spiderman 2018 (PS4) on the day of release, and had to spend nearly an hour installing it (46 GB or so, I can't remember the exact figure), plus a day one patch of more than half a GB had to be downloaded (fortunately, simultaneously with the install) - I don't know how anyone without a 'net connection would get on, does the patch fix serious, game ruining bugs or what?

I too tend to prefer older games, with some really good exceptions, such as Spiderman 2018, Doom 2016, Prey 2017, Batman: Arkham Knight, Titanfall 2, and Dishonoured 2.

And yes, I too am a GOG man when it comes to PC games. No DRM is how every game should be. If GOG and it's servers shut down tomorrow, I'd still be able to play all my GOG games no problem.

Reply 18 of 67, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
UCyborg wrote:

I think WON version of Half-Life is horrible for its stupid resolution switching to 640x480 for menus and it doesn't even play MP3 soundtracks for expansion packs, it always reads music files from valve/media folder.

FALSE FALSE FALSE

The original Half-Life pre-steam only supported CD audio. There is never music in valve/media

also -window

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 19 of 67, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:
FALSE FALSE FALSE […]
Show full quote
UCyborg wrote:

FALSE FALSE FALSE

The original Half-Life pre-steam only supported CD audio. There is never music in valve/media

also -window

Yeah, I was wondering about that. My CD version of the game definitely plays audio tracks from the disc. I wasn't sure if there was some feature that would play files that I was unaware of, so I didn't comment. Thanks for confirming what I already knew.

I still think Blue Man Group's Audio makes a better soundtrack than the original. However, I just noticed that Audio only has 14 tracks compared to the original soundtrack's 28 tracks. I wonder if I'm getting music in all the right spots now. If Half-Life seeks a track in the 15-28 range and doesn't find it, what happens? Does it play an available music track, or nothing at all? My preference for Blue Man Group's CD may be flawed.