VOGONS

Common searches

Final Fantasy 7

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by yawnmoth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's not a very old game, but... it doesn't run very well at all on latter OS's like 2000 or XP. In fact, multiple parts crash.

There are a number of patches available here:

http://www.eidosinteractive.com/support/search.html?gmid=44

But despite those, it still doesn't play all that well in OS's like 2k and XP. So... I'm thinking either the best solution is playing it within Virtual PC... any comments?

Either that, or try the PSX version, with an emulator, which seems to work, I guess... but that's the PSX version, and not the PC version!

Reply 1 of 17, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

PC version == PSX version with better edited text and a million more problems.

For all intents and purposes, you're better off with the PSX version and playing it either on a real PlayStation or an emulator. It really is a poor port to the PC.

None of the supposed advantages of PC games over console games apply. No multiplayer, no mod support and the graphics can't really be considered an improvement. If you're really serious about the PC version, the best way I've found to play it is to use Windows XP and the Chocobo patch. That gets it running for me. I don't have hardware accelerated visuals due to lack of RAM (but on the same token, I needed a 500Mb swap file to get hardware 3D running properly even under Win9x) so the game is as slow as a wet week, particularly in battles (one of the few areas of FF7-9 thats actually completely rendered in 3D), but all else is fine.

Wasurenaide...
...watashi ga iru koto o.
Itsudatte soba ni iru yo.

Gentoo. Because everything else is just shit. 😁
Registered Linux user #319839

Reply 2 of 17, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

LSD, you really need a new computer. 😉

Seriously, though. ePSXe + Ethereal SPU + Pete's OpenGL GPU + Final Fantasy VII PSX + a beefy computer = bliss. The only problem (at least with my video card) is that bilinear filtering makes ugly green lines, so I can't use it. 😒 Oh, well. It still looks fabulous, the sound is PERFECT (yes, perfect) and the only problem I really have noticed is the FMV running slowly/choppily. (Also the final FMV was squashed, heh.) Anyway, a FAR better tradeoff. 😀

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 4 of 17, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I have to say running it with epsxe and my logitech gamepad with tv-out on tv is a lot better than the playstation 2 does. Too bad the pc version of ff7 had terribly crap movies, they certainly made up for that with ff8 but still.

Reply 5 of 17, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't know about newer video cards but the TV out on my current cards looks like crap compared with my PS2 (and even my brothers PlayStation 1). The Dual Shock pad is also heaps more comfortable than my Logitech gamepad (not to mention has all the buttons in the right places :p).

Wasurenaide...

Reply 6 of 17, by yawnmoth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Seriously, though. ePSXe + Ethereal SPU + Pete's OpenGL GPU + Final Fantasy VII PSX + a beefy computer = bliss. The only problem (at least with my video card) is that bilinear filtering makes ugly green lines, so I can't use it. 😒

That's much better than my configuration! I was doing the 2xSaI filtering / interpolation, and was using Pete's SPU, which made it seem like the game was going slower than it really was... thanks! 😀

Reply 7 of 17, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Curiously, what were you using as your video driver? I haven't seen one for PSX that has 2xSAI support. Hmm...

So, now, does that mean it works well now? 😀

BTW, I use a PS -> PC converter thingie. It's nifty. It supports Dual Shock and all that good stuff. Too bad only PS1 controllers work on it...the PS2 controller is FAR superior. That said, not even Windows' Game Controllers have the kind of functionality the PS2 controller has... but I'm sure I've mentioned that before. Anyway, yeah. It's only like $15, and only requires a SMALL amount of beating your drivers with a hammer to get it working. (That said, it's still beating, and it's damn annoying trying to get them installed at times, especially since you end up with duplicate driver names, heh.)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 8 of 17, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

heh, I just plug a Dual Shock 2 in to my PS2 and it works right off the bat, no fiddling, not nothng :p

Seriously, I've been struggling with the idea of buying/building one of those adaptor thingies for a year or two now and every time it ultimately came down to this: They simply require too much time, effort and money compared with just playing the PlayStation version on a real PlayStation and as such I just do that.

Wasurenaide...

Reply 10 of 17, by yawnmoth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I find it rather annoying how PC controllers seem rather... lacking. My Logitech WingMan USB, while not a bad controller, isn't great - most console controllers have start / stop buttons, and most controllers have a much better directional pad... ah well...

oh - and my graphics card is an nVidia GeForce3 Ti500 - 2xSaI interpolation works fine on every other game I've tried it on...

Reply 12 of 17, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://nextgl.ngemu.com/
And all of Pete's since v1.64
(Current) home.t-online.de/home/PeteBernert/#Pete ... ows%20GPUs
(Proof) http://home.t-online.de/home/PeteBernert/gpu.htm

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 14 of 17, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Speaking of Pete,
The P.E.Op.S. guys (which includes Pete) just added 2xSai, Super2xSaI, SuperEagle to the P.E.Op.S. Software GPU:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/peops/

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 16 of 17, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Serious necromancy here. I have read on Quest Studios that Final Fantasy VII uses XG midi for the music.

I'm curious what the result of playing the game on a completely modern system with Windows 7 is. I'm thinking that you won't hear any music at all.

Does the Windows version of the game work with a PC gamepad? The D-pad and 8 buttons?

I'm skeptical that it is even a Windows game and not a DOS port. DOS can run games in protected mode.

Reply 17 of 17, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, that's not exact.

Final Fantasy VII uses MIDI for music, but it have different MIDIs for General MIDI, Yamaha and Soundblaster AWE. In fact, it ships with a Yamaha XG software synthetizer, and some soundfonts for using with AWE.

In Windows 7 it should work fine, providing that:
- Your graphic drivers support DirectX 6. Keep in mind that modern cards tends to break compatibility with older software, so graphic glitches may appear.
- Your sound card can play MIDIs. I guess that you could use the DirectX synthetizer, but BASSMIDI will work better.

I don't remember if it supported a gamepad (I played it with a keyboard, but I think that gamepads were supported), but if a gamepad is not supported you could use joypad to convert pad buttons into keys.

Final Fantasy VII is a true Windows port. It required DirectX 6.

Why are you reactivating such an old thread?

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!