VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Windows 10 user here. So i bought the game on GOG a couple of weeks ago when it finally released the problem is the game runs intermittently. It will run fine for one day, then after rebooting my PC stop working altogether for days on end. What happens is on launch I get a brief black screen then it crashes right back to desktop.

"Never pay more than 20 dollars for a computer game" - Guybrush Threepwood

Reply 1 of 9, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is a bit odd, but the game seems to run fine as long as I run another DirectPlay game first.

Reply 2 of 9, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay so this seems to be a persistent problem here. The game just loads to a black screen and i have to reboot my pc to get out of it. It used to sometimes run. I honestly can't figure out what is preventing it from running.

Reply 3 of 9, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Picked up the steam version which works right out of the box, but has none of the fixes of the gog version. You can tell it is just the reatail copy using the installer made by that german sight.

Reply 4 of 9, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Steam version randomly stopped working too so i did a fresh install of windows and still no game working. GOG support suggested disabling all sound devices except my speakers, so i did that and the game worked for the last three days. Game now boots back to blank screen and nothing gets it to run again. i am at my wits end and really wished anyone could help.

Reply 5 of 9, by AlphaPapa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It may be similar to Episode I Racer in which one of the USB devices is preventing the game from working. GOG forums has a post about this in the EP I racer. Try unplugging a few of your USB devices especially usb audio devices. Or something the game could interpret as a sound device or game controller

Reply 6 of 9, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
AlphaPapa wrote:

It may be similar to Episode I Racer in which one of the USB devices is preventing the game from working. GOG forums has a post about this in the EP I racer. Try unplugging a few of your USB devices especially usb audio devices. Or something the game could interpret as a sound device or game controller

So originally it just seemed the game was super sensitive to multiple audio devices so I disabled all audio devices except the main audio and mic, and that has worked for literally weeks. Today game won't start again and i am just beyond frustrated at this point. i don't have a clue wtf is going on with it.

Reply 7 of 9, by deSSy2724

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Can you tell me about those games requiring "DirectPlay" in order to work under Win 10 x64 (which actually work)...... im currently trying to fix Prince of Persia 3D on my Windows 10 machine but it suddently stopped working on one of my PCs, maybe running a game (requiring DirectPlay) would help me out, strange thing. Im not quite sure if it has anything to do with DirectPlay or QuickTime4 for this game, because on my second Win 10 x64 PC (notebook) this game works but no longer on my main Win 10 desktop PC which is strange (worked before). I messed something up on my main desktop PC after I tried to install a German version of the game... so, basically problems started after reinstalling the POP3D game and reinstalling QuickTime4 completely (Revo Uninstaller Pro).

Reply 8 of 9, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
deSSy2724 wrote:

Can you tell me about those games requiring "DirectPlay" in order to work under Win 10 x64 (which actually work)...... im currently trying to fix Prince of Persia 3D on my Windows 10 machine but it suddently stopped working on one of my PCs, maybe running a game (requiring DirectPlay) would help me out, strange thing. Im not quite sure if it has anything to do with DirectPlay or QuickTime4 for this game, because on my second Win 10 x64 PC (notebook) this game works but no longer on my main Win 10 desktop PC which is strange (worked before). I messed something up on my main desktop PC after I tried to install a German version of the game... so, basically problems started after reinstalling the POP3D game and reinstalling QuickTime4 completely (Revo Uninstaller Pro).

All I can say is make sure DirectPlay works and try a different game that uses it. I Know Infernal Machine uses it and I do not believe my issue is a DirectPlay issues, but i could be wrong.

Reply 9 of 9, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not surprised you're running into problems - Infernal Machine was a VERY picky game even back in the day. It's one game I gave up years ago trying to run it on modern hardware - the only PC I have that runs it well, is my Pentium 3 600. A more modern PC running Windows XP (it was designed for Windows 98) has all sorts of graphics issues, keyboard issues, slow down problems, crashes, etc. I think any fixes GOG might use will only go so far.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870