VOGONS

First post, by Musti

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have some CDs of an old german educational software (Addy 4.0), which supports primary school students in the subjects math and german. More and more mini-games are unlocked for solving exercises. These include classics such as Gobliiins (1991) and The Last Dynasty (1995).
Of course I don't want to solve all primary school exercises to play these mini-games. Therefore I am looking for a way to start these games directly. The software comes with three CDs. Installation, exercises and games. Each game has its own folder on the game CD. This is often just a .exe-file (as you can see on the attached image). If I click on this file, nothing happens. No error message or warning, nothing. Can anyone explain me why that might be? If it helps I can also provide you with the appropriate files. Some of these games were not published anywhere else. Therefore, I would be very grateful if there is a solution to this problem

Attachments

• Addy game folder.png
    Filename
    Addy game folder.png
    File size
    27.48 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Addy games.png
    Filename
    Addy games.png
    File size
    313.47 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Addy main screen.png
    Filename
    Addy main screen.png
    File size
    456.09 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 1 of 2, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember Addy.. Boy, that's long ago now. Back in the late 90s/early 2000s,
Addy was being praised as being innovative and such. I also remember there was a TV advertisement or something.
Anyway, the press was very positive about it. Short footage was seen in shows like nano, C't magazin, etc. 😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 2, by hdc0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
  1. Create a directory, e.g. C:\COKTEL\ADDY4
  2. Copy MDOGAMES.INI from CD 1 into this directory
  3. Create a subdirectory called SAVEGAME in this directory
  4. Open SETUP.INF from CD 1 in a text editor
  5. Search for ;create savegames directories
  6. Find the MKDIR SAVEGAME\GAMENAME *DESTDIR line for your game and create a subdirectory called GAMENAME in the SAVEGAME directory
  7. Determine the path of the exe file of the game you want to start, e.g. GAMES\BEEBOP1\BEEBOP1.EXE
  8. Open INTRO.STK from CD 1 in a hex editor
  9. Prepend the exe path with <CD> and search for it in the hex editor, e.g. search for <CD>GAMES\BEEBOP1\BEEBOP1.EXE
  10. Copy the null-terminated string of the first occurrence into a text editor, e.g. <CD>GAMES\BEEBOP1\BEEBOP1.EXE 290869 <ME>
  11. Replace <CD> with your path to CD 2, e.g. D:\
  12. Replace <ME> with the path to the directory that you created and append a backslash, e.g. C:\COKTEL\ADDY4\
  13. The resulting string should look like this: D:\GAMES\BEEBOP1\BEEBOP1.EXE 290869 C:\COKTEL\ADDY4\
  14. Use this string to run the game

Some of the games are "Click & Create" games. They can be identified by the presence of a CCA file in the same directory as their EXE file. It seems that these games do not need any secret command line arguments. However, you have to specify the path to MDOGAMES.INI in your clipboard to start them. So if you used the path from above, you would have to copy C:\COKTEL\ADDY4\MDOGAMES.INI to clipboard in order to start the game.