VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by mzry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey guys,

Nvidia implemented Tile Based Rendering in the Maxwell/Pascal series of GPUs (under the radar) which has caused compatibility issues with older games. I personally still play my old Quakes/Unreals/etc on my modern system so this really worries me.

They don't seem to be fixing the problem, I think we need some noise from the retro community, please comment in their forum for support.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1020 … using-artifacts
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1078 … l-was-released/

Thanks

Reply 1 of 16, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Assuming this is legit I would go through each game that has an issue with before and after screenshots and then let all the major websites know. The amount of OpenGL only or D3D and OpenGL games is very small so this shouldn't be too difficult.
Compare with ATI and Intel as well and if it works fine on ATI and Intel but not Nvidia then you have more fuel for the fire.
Mabye compare with Mesa3D as well if it works for those games.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 16, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I doubt being tile-based alone would be the culprit. It would've spelled disaster for Kyro and GMA if that were the case, and it isn't the first nvidia driver to regress masses of games without resolve. I gave them up over a decade ago about it!

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 16, by mzry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

I doubt being tile-based alone would be the culprit. It would've spelled disaster for Kyro and GMA if that were the case, and it isn't the first nvidia driver to regress masses of games without resolve. I gave them up over a decade ago about it!

While it might not be the concept of tile based rendering that is the problem, it surely is their implementation of it.

Reply 4 of 16, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well a few things:

1) Nvidia's a really huge company. I wouldn't except them to budge unless at the very minimum 1000+ people are complaining (and I'm guessing you need at least 10000+). If your plan is mobilizing forums the size of VOGONS, you're doomed to failure.

2) Nvidia's a tech company that needs clear reproduction steps to recreate issues. I'm not really seeing that in the forum topics linked.

3) Those topics seems to conflate two different issues, tile based rendering which seems to be possible to disable in Nvidia profiles and some sort of color compression which isn't?

4) For Quake 2, QindieGL will work just fine.

Reply 7 of 16, by mzry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ZellSF wrote:
Well a few things: […]
Show full quote

Well a few things:

1) Nvidia's a really huge company. I wouldn't except them to budge unless at the very minimum 1000+ people are complaining (and I'm guessing you need at least 10000+). If your plan is mobilizing forums the size of VOGONS, you're doomed to failure.

2) Nvidia's a tech company that needs clear reproduction steps to recreate issues. I'm not really seeing that in the forum topics linked.

3) Those topics seems to conflate two different issues, tile based rendering which seems to be possible to disable in Nvidia profiles and some sort of color compression which isn't?

4) For Quake 2, QindieGL will work just fine.

Just tried QindieGL and although it 'worked' it added 500ms of input lag 😖

Reply 8 of 16, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It really shouldn't. Might indicate some issues with your computer.

Since you're trying it, I assume you are having artifacting problems in Quake 2? Should I have seen any of those artifacts before getting to the Warehouse?

Reply 9 of 16, by mzry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well firstly what version of Quake 2 are you using? The original? Because for instance if you're using the GOG version it has a new engine that uses OpenGL 3 which won't cause any issues. In regards to the flicker issue, it is completely random and in my experience can only last for a split second at times. Also sometimes I cannot reproduce the problem at all, it is random.

Reply 10 of 16, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mzry wrote:

In regards to the flicker issue, it is completely random and in my experience can only last for a split second at times. Also sometimes I cannot reproduce the problem at all, it is random.

It took me about an hour to get to the Warehouse (long time since I've played Quake 2), if you cannot create a situation that can be reproduced more frequently than that, I doubt anyone will solve it.

I've also played much farther, but that was with DxWnd, which while it does use Nvidia OpenGL rendering alters it somewhat. So while it's not 100% that could create the same problems, it's pretty likely and I'm not seeing any issues.

So obvious question, why do you think this is a Nvidia Pascal architecture problem other than wild guessing?

mzry wrote:

Well firstly what version of Quake 2 are you using? The original? Because for instance if you're using the GOG version it has a new engine that uses OpenGL 3 which won't cause any issues.

Where are you getting that from? The GOG version (which yes, is what I'm playing) uses the same quake2.exe and ref_gl.dll as the retail 3.20 patch.

Reply 11 of 16, by mzry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

the Gog version has updated ref_gl's. I have it on my HDD, perhaps you have an old version if you don't see it. Even inside the video menu it shows OpenGL3 mode.

Read the top link I posted and it will explain everything you need to know.