VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by rtr_18

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I am trying to run a 32 bit application in a machine where windows 10-64 bit OS is installed. That application has some 16 bit functionalities also. When I try to access the 16 bit functionality, it shows an error. However I need to irun the application in Windows 64 bit application. Will DOS Box fulfill my requirements? If yes, what is the procedure? If no, is there any other method to get the work done?
My application was developed using Visual Foxpro.

Reply 1 of 7, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Only the 32-bit version of Windows 10 has a 16-bit sub-system.

The only possible way to run 16-bit applications under Windows 10 64-bit is by using an emulator or by running a virtual machine in Hyper-V.
In your case, I don't think that DOSBox is the answer.

Reply 2 of 7, by rtr_18

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jesolo wrote:

Only the 32-bit version of Windows 10 has a 16-bit sub-system.

The only possible way to run 16-bit applications under Windows 10 64-bit is by using an emulator or by running a virtual machine in Hyper-V.
In your case, I don't think that DOSBox is the answer.

Can you please elaborate on running virtual machine in Hyper-V?

Reply 4 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Winevdm

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 7, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's many ways to run 16-bit Windows software on 64-bit Windows. Hyper-V and Winevdm were already pointed out. Other options are VirtualBox and VMware (VMware Player is freeware).

Hyper-V, VirtualBox and WMware are "virtual machines". They provide you a virtual PC where you'll need to install a 32-bit Windows OS that can run your software. Look up what your 16-bit application says the most recent supported version of Windows is and install that version of Windows inside the virtual machine. There's many guides available on how to install old Windows versions in HV, VBox and VMware. The easiest to use IMO is Virtual Box.

Winevdm on the other hand is completely different. It will run the 16-bit application directly inside your 64-bit OS. There is no virtual machine involved.

DOSBox can also do it, but as you can guess, it focuses on DOS. Installing Windows 95/98 in it might or might not work.