VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by A Black Falcon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, I decided to try to play Recoil on my current, Win10 computer recently. It was a pretty great game at the time, and I'd like to see how well it holds up. After some searching online and experimentation, I figured out how to install the game (win95 compatibility on the Autorun program) and get the game to boot (nglide and dgvoodoo both fix its graphics-driver issue), and that's great... but I have another problem that I can't find a solution to online -- as the thread title says, horribly stuttery graphics. Like, anytime I turn the tank in the game the whole environment tears apart and jitters around. It's more than just distracting, it makes the game pretty much unplayable. That's pretty sad because dgvoodoo 2's Direct3d emulation works in the game! Until I try to actually move the game looks great, and runs at full detail at its max resolution of 1024x768, which is pretty awesome. It's an improvement over the 800x600 max of Glide mode in dgvoodoo 2 or nglide in resolution, and the graphics look just about as good... or would if they weren't tearing apart every time I move. Argh...

But again, so far, looking online I haven't found a solution to this issue. I see some people mentioning it, but not any solutions. I wonder if anyone here might have any ideas, or if it's just some hardware incompatibility issue (with the CPU or something?) that I can't do much about... because the stutter is exactly the same with either nglide or dgvoodoo 2, and in either the glide or direct3d modes in dgvoodoo 2. I think it may have had this same issue on my previous computer too?

Still though, it's really awesome that dgvoodoo supports direct3d now, that's fantastic. (Also, the old dgvoodoo 1.5 can't emulate Recoil's graphics at all, you get no polygons on screen once you get into the game. 2 fixes that issue, thankfully.)

... So I just tried to run Recoil on my WinME computer from '01, and it won't even run correctly there! No, it's got horrible camera problems, as the camera jumps around constantly rendering the game unplayable. If there was a fix for that I forget what it is.

And for one final odd thing, the version of Recoil I installed from the CD didn't have the 3DFX version in the folder. The old version I had installed on my old computer years ago from this same disc (which is on this HDD, but wouldn't run until I reinstalled the game because of missing files it needs elsewhere) does have the 3DFX file though, so... yeah. I forget what's going on with that. Either way though the end result is the same, the jittery graphics are the same in both versions.

What do I need to do, go find a Win98 computer with a GeForce 256 again to play the game correctly? :p Any suggestions would be appreciated.