VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by marianoryu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been trying to get Heavy Gear (1997) to run, patched to 1.2, but I'm having some little issues I'm not certain how to tweak. For the moment, I got the game running using the latest DxWnd.

1 - 3Dfx mode with nGlide, I get black squares in dust particles and explosions.
2 - The Activision logo video and the first cutscene play, but nothing happens after I finish the first mission in story mode.
3 - No CD audio

Specs:

Intel Core i5-7400 CPU 3.0 Ghz
8GB RAM
GeForce GTX 750Ti
Windows 10 Professional (64-bit)

Any help most welcome!

Reply 4 of 16, by marianoryu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Davros wrote:
Dgvoodoo or Dgvoodoo2 http://dege.freeweb.hu […]
Show full quote

Dgvoodoo or Dgvoodoo2
http://dege.freeweb.hu

or
zeckensack's
http://www.zeckensack.de/glide/

DgVoodoo does the same. It doesn't change much.

Plus there's still the problems of audio and cutscenes.

Reply 5 of 16, by SpeedySPCFan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have you tried playing the game with the original 1.0 version, no patches? The game runs fine for me unpatched but it never worked if I patched it...

Musician & music gear/game reviewer.

MIDI hardware: JD-990, SC-55, SC-880, SD-90, VL70-m, Motif ES, Trinity, TS-10, Proteus 2000, XK-6, E6400U

Reply 6 of 16, by marianoryu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SpeedySPCFan wrote:

Have you tried playing the game with the original 1.0 version, no patches? The game runs fine for me unpatched but it never worked if I patched it...

That was my next move. Should be doing it today and report how it goes.

Reply 10 of 16, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Putas wrote:

Heavy Gear supports Direct3D, isn't that easier to get get going?

3Dfx Glide has better likelihood to get it working on modern systems due to Glide emulation. I found that Windows 10 x64 has poor compatibility with Direct3D in the era of DirectX 3 to 7.

Reply 12 of 16, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried HG 1.0 (original) and HG 1.1 (patched) on Windows 10 x64 1803 with Direct3D with the 1st training mission. The sim started but black screen at the end of mission. Cut scenes shown as blue square. I still use the old generation NVIDIA G210 with only WDDM1.2 support. I did not experiment with different compatibility options.

Reply 13 of 16, by marianoryu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried reinstalling and patching to 1.2 again, mounting it from an .iso set to D:

Now I get the videos and the main menu, but when trying to start a game (campaign / first training mission), the game won't start, either on 3Dfx or Direct3d mode, either with nGlide or ngVoodoo.

And DxWnd won't even get the opening cutscenes.

Reply 15 of 16, by Deffnator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

HEAVY GEAR 1 is kinda BUSTED as mechwarrior 2
No matter what you do, it doesn't work from windows8+ without some bugs.
In mechwarrior 2's case is the MW2SHELL.DLL and the Updates not working on modern machines, last time mech2.org updated it the game used to work until win7x64. Since HG1 uses the same engine, it may be possible to look at it and update it to use modern language.

They are kinda active on their discord channel, maybe someone there may give a insight abut hacking the DLL and how to update it.

Reply 16 of 16, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deffnator wrote:

HEAVY GEAR 1 is kinda BUSTED as mechwarrior 2

Heavy Gear 1, Mech2 3Dfx and Titanium version all work with DOSBox SVN and QEMU with patches to support 3Dfx.
Heavy Gear 1 and Mech2 Titanium also work with DOSBox SVN accelerated by Direct3D from 3Dfx voodoo1 chip emulation.

All versions of Heavy Gear 1 (1.0, 1.1 and 1.2Beta) work for me in DOSBox SVN and QEMU on Windows 10 Pro x64.
Version 1.1 supports 16-bit texture, so the graphic details are noticeably different from 1.0 (sky & ground rendering).
Version 1.2Beta has improved particles and clipping plane. You can see objects further in this version compared to 1.0 and 1.1.