VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by RoadkillSD

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, all.

First post ever so I feel it necessary to give a massive thank you to Qbix, Harekiet, Fanskapet and Finster for creating DOSBox and making the world a better place and a monumental thanks to Yesterplay80 for the ECE version because thanks to you, sir, I've been able to go back and play 3dfx-enhanced DOS games I could never run before properly back in the day. So, now that the gushing is out of the way... on to my Windows-based game issue.

So I've made it more than half-way through my the remaining games that I still have on CDs/diskettes that are not available digitally through the likes of Steam or GOG and have finally hit a wall with G-Police. I had no issues getting the rest of the games bundled with my Creative Voodoo2 (Ultim@te Race Pro and Incoming) but G-Police just gives me the finger. I've searched the posts on here and I'm only finding passing mentions of the game and two posts about graphic and sound issues; nothing about install issues. Even the comments on Youtube videos of people playing it on their modern OS say they didn't have to do anything special to get it installed so I'm wondering if something changed in that last couple Win10 builds since those users got it to work to break functionality. I'm running 64bit Windows 10 Enterprise b1803 on an i5 3570k and an EVGA GeForce 980GTX Ti Classified. After seeing this guy running the game without issue in 3840x2160 (seriously?!) supposedly natively without any modding, I first tried just running the autorun installer, which loads the initial menu to select run or install, but then it just quits to desktop immediately after selecting install. I then attempted to run the setup.exe on the disc, which prompts UAC but then nothing. Checking task manager, I can see a "32-bit Installer" in the list but it's doing nothing - 0 RAM or CPU usage - just sitting there. It never moves forward so I end the process. I then tried every possible combination of compatibility mode from Win 8 through Win 95 with and without administrative permissions but still the same response as running setup.exe normally - a stuck installer in task manager. So next I copied the entire cd contents to a folder on my desktop and attempted the same steps from the local copy with no success. Lastly, I used the replacement InstallEngine 5 32-bit executable (this was necessary for a few games using InstallEngine 3) even though this isn't a 16-bit installer but still no luck. I've run out of ideas. About to download the ISO of it off myabandonware.com just to see if it's just a problem with the Creative bundled CD version I have vs the standard retail version. Any other suggestions?

Children of the 80s are the benchmark gamers - we've been there since video games' inception so we've experienced it all and can actually both applaud and scrutinize today's games.

Reply 2 of 7, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RoadkillSD wrote:

Hey, all.
After seeing this guy running the game without issue in 3840x2160 (seriously?!) supposedly natively without any modding,

Unlikely, it's a DirectX 5 game. Without mods it should max out at 2048x2048 unless DSR does something weird.

https://github.com/UCyborg/LegacyD3DResolutionHack

Reply 3 of 7, by RoadkillSD

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZellSF wrote:

Go to details tab in Task Manager. Find setup process, right click it and click "Analyze Wait Chain".

You have some misbehaving software that interferes with InstallShield installers.

And looks like you were correct. For some odd reason, it was pending closure of Calculator and Outlook. After ending both of those processes in the chain, it then ran the installer. Really strange that those were dependents at all. Thanks, ZellSF!

Children of the 80s are the benchmark gamers - we've been there since video games' inception so we've experienced it all and can actually both applaud and scrutinize today's games.

Reply 4 of 7, by Daninthemix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having huge trouble running this game. After somehow getting through myriad "Please insert G-Police CD" type errors, I now get as far as viewing the opening FMV, then the game quits every time.

Please help! Does anyone have a portable installation of this that just works on W10?

Reply 6 of 7, by Daninthemix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, got it working with dgVoodoo (bad ISO I think). Only problem is the game doesn't like task switching. So I can use borderless / alwaysontop windowed, which works great, but the game pauses when you switch task, and then crashes when you switch back. I was hoping to do some Cheat Engine hacking but that kind of becomes impossible. Is there any way to task switch without the game knowing?