VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Eimer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So as I heard older DirectX versions are kind of restricted under Windows 10, such as DX7 only has emulated T&L instead of real hardware T&L, which makes older games that make use of Hardware T&L lag a lot on slower hardware.
Is there any way to solve this issue? a workaround to re-enable hardware T&L or some kind?
I'm also not sure if it is really a restriction of Windows or if its just the Intel driver.
Because I'm pretty sure my iGPU does support T&L.

Reply 1 of 11, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I suppose it would be interesting to test with an older 3DMark version, such as 3DMark2000, 2001 or 03. I believe they all have DX7 tests, and you can select hw or sw T&L.
It's the first time I hear of this limitation anyway, and not sure why it would be there, because you can just install Vista and Windows 7 drivers in Windows 10. I'd expect them to just support T&L.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 2 of 11, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Intel HD's drivers for Windows 7 also does the slow DX7 3D stuff. I kind of like it for the 1999esque performance I get in certain games with it....

You could probably get it faster by wrappering through to better supported higher APIs maybe. 😉 though I don't know if dgVoodoo2 works off the top of my head

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 11, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Davros wrote:

shouldnt any cpu that support win10 be massively faster at t&l than than any dx7 era gpu ?

Possibly, but that certainly doesn't go for newer GPUs, which still need to support DX7.

Reply 6 of 11, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tested dgvoodoo2 with the Intel HD chipset on the newest PC my parents have and it works but high resolutions have absolutely terrible framerate.

Not entirely sure how dgvoodoo2 is setting up it's own rendering given, well, Intel graphics on Windows isn't the best.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 7 of 11, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,
According to 3dMark 2000 this rumor is not true.
There is a significant difference on Win10 between hardware and software T&L. E.g. in 8 light High polygon count test the difference is more than tenfold.
Although it seems there is an interesting difference between Win10 and WinXP/7 but it's not hardware T&L related. On Win10 it seems there is no native 16-bit rendering. On one hand 16-bit rendering is much slower than 32-bit (this is just the opposite on WinXP/7) and in Game1 Helicopter tests (sky and clouds) it's easy to notice that the typical 16-bit color banding artifacts (because of missing 16-bit dithering, very noticeable on all DX10+ hardware) are completely missing (they are present and very rude on WinXP/7).

Test system: OS: Win10 64-bit, CPU: Phenom II X4 down-clocked to 1GHz, GPU: Geforce 960 GTX
Result with hardware T&L:

3dm2000_HWTL.jpg
Filename
3dm2000_HWTL.jpg
File size
114.51 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Result with software T&L:

3dm2000_SWTL.jpg
Filename
3dm2000_SWTL.jpg
File size
115.74 KiB
Views
File license

On my Win10 by default 3dMark 2000 was FPS capped by forced V-Sync so I had to apply a compatibility patch (attached).

Filename
Win10_FPS_Fix.zip
File size
1.13 KiB
Downloads
91 downloads
File license

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 8 of 11, by Silanda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I assume it is emulated in a way, but emulated through drivers and shader hardware. I doubt there would be much point in keeping fixed function DX7 style T&L units around in modern hardware if their functionality can be simulated with shader units.

That being said, I have no concrete info to back this up so I could be talking out of my backside. I have seen something along those lines mentioned elsewhere though.

Of course, if it's emulated in drivers it's possible that its support is not 100% solid. That could perhaps explain some performance issues, though Windows 8 and 10 have other well known issues that interfere with performance of old games.

Reply 9 of 11, by Eimer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

DGVoodoo actually brought me a noticable performance boost.
And resolution didn't really matter, 640x480 and 1280x800, pretty much same framerate.
The game I tested was Gothic 2, its a very CPU intense game and my device has a very low single thread performance (Intel Atom Tablet)
But thanks to DGVoodoo my game actually runs playable now.
30-50fps outside of the city
~15-20fps within the city

before DGVoodoo I got like 5fps in the city xD

Reply 10 of 11, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Silanda wrote:

I assume it is emulated in a way, but emulated through drivers and shader hardware. I doubt there would be much point in keeping fixed function DX7 style T&L units around in modern hardware if their functionality can be simulated with shader units.

Yea, it's been that way ever since the Radeon 9700. That was the first GPU that didn't have any fixed function T&L at all, and the driver generated the appropriate shader on-the-fly.
It also didn't have any integer vertex processing at all, it only had 24-bit float units, so all integer operations were translated to float as well, in the driver.
But of course it was still hardware-accelerated that way.
It could be that Intel generates CPU code instead of GPU code in some of their drivers, for DX7.
Falcosoft at least demonstrated that this is not true for all GPUs under Windows 10, which is exactly what I expected.

Reply 11 of 11, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

3d analyse has an emulate T&L option
I'm pretty sure I remember a benchmark from back in the day that said you need a 1.2 ghz Tbird cpu to do t&l faster than a geforce 256

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness