VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by NovHak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dear forum readers,

While some pre-DX9 games need wrappers such as the excellent dgVoodoo 2 to work properly, some still work out of the box nowadays. However, on Nvidia-equipped laptops (maybe AMD is concerned too, I don't know), it has become impossible to have them running on the dedicated GPU. This can be a pain because while these games are not very demanding graphically, some can still be too much for the integrated GPU to handle or make the fans scream excessively, ultimately forcing to resort to a wrapper, just to have it run on the dedicated GPU.

Hence my questions are :
1) Is there a way to have these games run on the dedicated GPU still in pre-DX9 mode, through some sort of simplified wrapper, only taking care of GPU selection ? Or if that's not possible,

2a) Did Nvidia completely drop support for old DX games ? And why on laptops only ? Or maybe...

2b) Did Nvidia completely drop support for old DX games on laptops and desktops as well ? And why ? I stopped playing on desktop computers since 2008, so I can't tell, but I've heard of desktops having integrated GPUs too, so I'm wondering if the pre-DX9 market is completely left to Intel after all...

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-05-16, 03:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 3, by mrpenguinb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

NVIDIA has deprecated support for certain DirectX features, but it is mainly due to Windows 10 not having 16-bit support and bad/non-existent pre-DirectX 8 support.

This affects every system that runs new versions of Windows and has newer hardware.

I don't know all the specifics, but there are plenty of people on here that can tell you more specifically what support for DirectX has been broken or removed.

Reply 3 of 3, by NovHak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mrpenguinb wrote:

NVIDIA has deprecated support for certain DirectX features, but it is mainly due to Windows 10 not having 16-bit support and bad/non-existent pre-DirectX 8 support.

There is still a clear need for pieces of software like dgVoodoo, and there are tons of 32-bit old games still played nowadays.

What baffles me is that companies like Nvidia and Microsoft with access to all the information and most of the code at the ready are discontinuing support like you know "we can't divert more resources blah blah blah", and a single man manages to do their work. There's something wrong here. This makes them look like deaf money-making machines... Oh wait, could that be the case ? "The way it's meant to be played" my a$$...

rasz_pl wrote:

so you have problem with gpu switching to integrated?
try wine 😀

I would rather say that I've a problem with the system not switching to the discrete GPU ! Anyway, why would I use Wine when I can use dgVoodoo ? Especially considering I'm trying to get the game running using a minimalistic solution, which is not quite the case with Wine...