VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by luigi-master

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings. I've recently come into possession of the PC version of Mega Man X7, which was only released in Korea. When I attempt to install the game, it gives me an error code (1155) in gibberish, which I believe mentions that the rockmanx7.msi file can't be accessed properly. I've done some research and it appears this is some form of copy protection, and the game will refuse to install on anything other than Korean versions of Windows, if this topic is any indication.

https://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=29564

Which leads me to believe that setup.exe runs a check on Windows to see if it's Korean or not; I doubt that the Korean version of Windows has specific functions to it. My question is, assuming this is not illegal, is it possible to hack setup.exe to remove the OS checking measure? I am well aware that I could download a copy of this game online, I could even emulate the PS2 version if I so desired, and the game has been re-released as part of Mega Man X Collection on Steam, this is just to get this game to install on non-Korean computers, as otherwise it would be a paperweight to everyone else and thus a potentially lost game.

Reply 1 of 1, by luigi-master

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright, I've successfully managed to install (and run!) the game on my PC. To the best of my memory, this is what I did.

1. Download Locale Emulator and extact its contents somewhere convenient.
  2. Open LEInstaller.exe and click Install for current user to install the locale emulator.
  3. Click Edit global profile list to create a Korean profile.
  4. Change Location to Korean (Korea), change Timezone to (UTC+09:00) Seoul, and check Run as an administrator, Fake registry, and Fake system UI language.
  5. Click Save As to save your profile.
  6. Go to C:/Program Files (x86)/Common Files.
  7. Delete or rename the existing InstallShield folder.
  8. Go to My Computer or This PC, depending on the version of Windows you're using, and open the DVD drive, where Rockman X7 is located.
  9. Right click setup.exe and highlight Locale Emulator to select the Korean profile you created.
  10. You will get an error message (#1628), this is not important, we did it just to create a new Installshield folder, the specific one the game uses.
  11. Go back to C:/Program Files (x86)/Common Files/InstallShield/Driver/7/Intel 32/.
  12. Right click iDriver.exe and select properties, set compatibility mode to Windows XP (Service Pack 2) and check Run this program as an administrator.
  13. This step is important! Right click iDriver.exe and run it with the Korean locale. Nothing will happen, but that's okay.
  14. Open Rockman x7 and run setup.exe with the Korean locale again, and it should now ask you where to install your game; feel free to choose your own directory and folder name.

And that's it! It might appear to hang at 36% or such a value, but it is indeed working. Also, to run this game, you must set compatibility mode to Windows 98/ME and run it with the Locale Emulator, as otherwise it will not work. An error screen telling your video card is insufficient will show up, but that's no problem, it will run fine.

I hope someone finds this helpful!