VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Shadowboy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello i'm trying to get Suikoden 1 JP (windows 95) to run on my windows 7 computer. I'm using a physical cd rom.
I've tried to run the install in windows 95 compatibility mode a windows pop up to install but when i click install I get an

"Unsupported 16-Bit Application"

error.

Reply 1 of 20, by doaks80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have you heard of DosBOX?

k6-3+ 400 / s3 virge DX+voodoo1 / awe32(32mb)
via c3 866 / s3 savage4+voodoo2 sli / audigy1+awe64(8mb)
athlon xp 3200+ / voodoo5 5500 / diamond mx300
pentium4 3400 / geforce fx5950U / audigy2 ZS
core2duo E8500 / radeon HD5850 / x-fi titanium

Reply 2 of 20, by Shadowboy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
doaks80 wrote:

Have you heard of DosBOX?

Yes a friend told me about it I followed tutorial videos and mounted my c: (hardrive) and d: (cdrom)
I was able to look at all the files on the cdrom in the directory but when i tried to run setup it said

' Illegal command: win. '

hbAPjat.png

Reply 3 of 20, by doaks80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You may need to build a retro win98 computer. Emulating this era of games is the "great gap" in retro computing.

Reply 6 of 20, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am not familiar with the game, but if you manage to install it the game's executable may be 16-bit as well. One possible solution would be to install Windows 3x in DOSBox and then install the game in it. Windows 3.1x DOSBox Guide

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 7 of 20, by Shadowboy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

That's the LucasArts' 16-bit Installshield stub issue right there...

I put what you wrote into google and got this https://reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10988#p90280
in it they mention " If the file _inst32i.ex_ is among the install files listed, then it is an InstallShield based setup "

Well as you see below there's definitely one of those on my disk.

YF4ExVN.png

So do I do what @collector said?

Reply 8 of 20, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

https://web.archive.org/web/20180102044356/ht … iles/setup.html (Link from Wayback machine because ToastyTech appears to be down for some reason)

You need the first file, I think.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 9 of 20, by Shadowboy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay I was able to install it but im getting some error when trying to run the start the application. I say some error because it looks like gibberish

oxgVNym.png

I'm guessing that means what Collector stated above?

if you manage to install it the game's executable may be 16-bit as well. One possible solution would be to install Windows 3x in DOSBox and then install the game in it.

Reply 11 of 20, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keenmaster486 wrote:

https://web.archive.org/web/20180102044356/ht … iles/setup.html (Link from Wayback machine because ToastyTech appears to be down for some reason)

It's back up...

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 12 of 20, by Shadowboy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright

I installed Windows 3.1 on dosbox
installed graphics , sound drivers ( S3 Trio64V 1.70.04 1024x768 64K C SF , SB16W3x )

Now how do I install the game on windows?
I copied all the files on my cdrom into a writeable folder and placed that in c:/dosbox (dosbox is my c)

I apologize is this is starting to branch off into dosbox. The thread was initially started to get this to run on windows 7 but evidently led down to this work around. 😊

Reply 13 of 20, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shadowboy wrote:

Now how do I install the game on windows?

Just run SETUP.EXE. This is assuming, of course, that the game itself is also 16-bit.

Some games are 32-bit, but only the installers are 16-bit. When this happens, you either need Windows 95/98/Me/XP (or any modern 32-bit version of Windows; most installations of Vista/7/8/10 are 64-bit), or you need to replace the installer with a 32-bit version.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 14 of 20, by Shadowboy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote:

Just run SETUP.EXE. This is assuming, of course, that the game itself is also 16-bit.

Some games are 32-bit, but only the installers are 16-bit. When this happens, you either need Windows 95/98/Me/XP (or any modern 32-bit version of Windows; most installations of Vista/7/8/10 are 64-bit), or you need to replace the installer with a 32-bit version.

Do I type that command into dosbox? I've tried putting it into the windows directory and running the setup.exe file but I get an ' Illegal command: win. ' and if I try to run autorun.exe I get ' This program must be run under Win32 '

In windows 3.1
I went to file > new > item > browse > autorun.exe the screen flickered for a brief moment

kYEyaOA.png

Although I can't read japanese I noticed these two tid bits of info when I installed the game on windows 7 (won't run on windows 7 obviously)
[*]DirectX
[*]Highcolor(16)bit

I'm not as familiar as you all are with this
but should I have instead installed windows95 into dosbox or should windows 3.1 be adequate?

2fluJR7.png

Reply 16 of 20, by Shadowboy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Don't ever install Win95 in dosbox.
Considering the game's new enough and uses DirectX you shouldn't involve DOSbox with this at all.

Do you have a suggestion of what to try next?
I really want to get this to work someway somehow
😀

Reply 17 of 20, by doaks80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shadowboy wrote:
Do you have a suggestion of what to try next? I really want to get this to work someway somehow :happy: […]
Show full quote
leileilol wrote:

Don't ever install Win95 in dosbox.
Considering the game's new enough and uses DirectX you shouldn't involve DOSbox with this at all.

Do you have a suggestion of what to try next?
I really want to get this to work someway somehow
😀

Find a cheap pentium4 rig on classifieds and install win98 on it.

Reply 18 of 20, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Full blown emulation - virtualbox, vmware, pcem, qemu, pick your favorite.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 19 of 20, by Shadowboy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got it to work on a windows xp virtual machine! 😀

YrQtvuO.png

I just have one last question. Above @Leileilol mentioned that the image I posted was mojibake
How do I restore this to the original Kanji characters? Do I need to change my windows xp virtual machine language or can I install another language somehow?

EDIT: Solved!

(for those who want to know how I did it,
1. Start the virtual machine windows xp
2. open the Control panel
3. click Date, Time, Language, and Regional Options
4. click add other languages
5. check the 'Install files for East Asian Languages' you'll then be prompted to enter your windows xp setup disk. Install then reboot
6. Go back to the same windows (Regional and Language Options) click details, then add, select the language you believe was the original (in my case Japanese) then click OK twice
7. click advanced tab
8. hit the drop down and change from your default language to the one you selected above.
9. You may need to restart after then it all done!)