VOGONS

Common searches

Frogger

Topic actions

First post, by Mike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

When I play Frogger, there is no music in the game.
Is there any way to fix this problem?

Specs:
Intel Celeron(R) 2.40 GHZ Processor
256 MB RAM
Integrated SoundMAX Digital Audio sound card
Windows XP Service Pack 2

Reply 1 of 16, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I assume you're talking about the "new" 3D Frogger game. Does it have CD audio (verify by playing it in Media Player)? If so it might be suffering the same problem that some older Windows games I have - the CD audio just doesn't start playing. Examples include Boss Rally, Sega Rally 2 and Sentinel Returns.

I haven't found a fix for those but I thought I'd mention them in case anyone has discovered anything about them! I did find once that playing the music in Media Player in Boss Rally before starting the game made the game realise the CD-ROM had audio then it started playing properly/changing tracks in game, but recently that hasn't worked any more! 😖

Ice

Reply 3 of 16, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Microsoft Pinball Arcade (now published by Atari) is another title that fits into this category. You can play the music tracks in Media Player. I did some research into complaints from users of Pinball Arcade about this problem some time back, and the common element seemed to be that all of the sufferers had "upgraded" to DirectX 8 (or higher).

I don't have a solution to offer, but perhaps the information above can be used by someone with a more detailed knowledge of the difference between DirectX 8 and earlier versions to find one.

Reply 4 of 16, by Mike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well it looks like there is another problem. I
Upgraded my computer about 3 day ago. here is the specs:
Celeron 2.40 GHZ
256 MB RAM
Integrated Realtek AC97 Audio
GEforce FX 5700 LE Graphics card

I still have the sound problem, but a new problem occured ever since I upgraded my graphics card from a Intel Extreme Graphics card to a GEforce FX 5700 LE Graphics card. the problem I get is the graphics in the game do have colors but there is flashing black on the edge og the objects. I have a different motherboard. so that means that I have a different sound card. So how do I fix these two problems, should I get a outdated version of DirectX or is there other solutions available? Here is how the motherboard box looks like...

Attachments

• Filename
    Motherboard.jpg
    File size
    435.39 KiB
    Downloads
    300 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 16, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try disabling antialiasing/ansiotropic filtering if they are on on your card.

Get the latest drivers from Nvidia.

Try some other games to see if the problems occur there too.

Ice

Reply 6 of 16, by Mike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, The problem occurs only with Frogger. Sadly I also contacted
Atari's technical suppport and here is what they said about this...

"This game is unfortunately quite likely to experience trouble on newer
Windows XP computers. For the sound issue you probably have your CD-Audio
disabled, muted, or somehow disabled. You should be able to adjust those
sound settings in Windows. Old computers used to have direct access to the
CD-ROM and could play music off of CDs just like a CD-Player. Some newer
computers run this whole process through the entire sound subsystem of the
computer and no-longer use direct CD-ROM access for sound because the
technology is obsolete. It is likley that due to the age of "Frogger" that
is not taken into account in its design.

As for the flashing graphics, try the following (and only do this when
playing Frogger, reverse these steps otherwise):

Right-click on the desktop and select Properties. Switch to the settings tab
and click on Advanced. Switch to the Troubleshooing tab and move the slider
for Hardware Acceleration 2 notches to the left and then restart the
computer. Try all the other levels of acceleration too if the above does not
work."

Well, I don't have the CD Audio disabled I checked my volume settings. I also moved the acceleration two notches to the left.
And I still have problems!
I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Is there any solution to this problem?????

SPECS (once again)
Celeron 2.40 GHZ processor
256 MB RAM
Integrated Realtek AC97 Audio
GEforce FX 5700 LE Graphics card

Reply 7 of 16, by Mok

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, I was bored today so here is a patch. Works on my machine so no updates planned. I included also vidsetup.exe which is patched to allow resolutions up to 1024x768. You must run it directly by clicking on vidsetup.exe as shortcut in start menu points to a file on CD-ROM.
This is for Frogger by Hasbro.

-Mok

Attachments

• Filename
    frogger.rar
    File size
    348.33 KiB
    Downloads
    3536 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 9 of 16, by Mike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nevermind, got it unzipped, but I have problems. The problem is, when I use 3d primary display driver, I get black flashing at the end of the frog. there is also weird patterns on the top of the cars on the retro levels. And there is no music just like the unpatched version of frogger. Sadly, this patch is the same thing as unpatched Frogger.
How do I get rid of the flashing graphics?
And there is no music. How do I get rid of that problem?

Reply 10 of 16, by Mok

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So it doesn't work for you... too bad. As I said it works fine here. The music is playing now (the newer DirectX versions somehow close all the opened devices so older games that open CD for audio before initializing DirectX are all broken). The original CD is in my first CD-ROM just in case the game checks just the first one. As for gfx problems this is your drivers problem. On my GF 6800 GT it works, some smaller fonts are a bit unreadable but nothing major. So sorry, I have no idea what more can be fixed.

-Mok

Reply 11 of 16, by Mike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It has been awhile since I last posted... Anyway, is there any newer patches for frogger available? Ok, here is one of the problems: when I play the game, the texture on the top the truck would change, and the edges would be invisible. The water is fine. The timing bar looks very strange. I still have the GEforce FX 5700 LE Graphics card.

Reply 12 of 16, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's an official (but old) patch here: http://dlh.net/cgi-bin/patdl.cgi?lang=eng&sys … le=frogger3.zip

Also, have you tried running in Win98 compatability mode?

Reply 13 of 16, by Mike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I already have the latest patch. Problem is the graphics. The texture on the top of the truck would change. And there would be black on the edge of the frog. No it is NOT a normal shadow, there is strange flashing graphics on random spots of the frog, and the other objects. Look at the older posts that I submited. The older posts explain more about my problems. Please let me know if you found any unoffical patches for this game.

Reply 14 of 16, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It could just be that the newer graphics cards are not as compatible with older games. For example, some old games look worse on my Radeon 9800XT than on my old Voodoo5 card on my old PC.

In some games the textures are worse, and there are draw depth glitches (where sometimes objects have a jagged edge or flicker over the top of each other as the card doesn't know which to show!

For lines on the edge of objects make sure you fully disable anti-aliasing and ansiotropic filtering, as well as checking to see if there are any compatibility options.

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor