VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by JJXB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Been trying to get multiple games going at 60fps with various degrees of success and i figured i'd at least ask if anyone else knew anything to add to it (the primary debugger i'm using is x32dbg btw with a side of ida pro 6.8 as needed).

Sega Touring Car Championship: messing with either timeGetTime or GetTick related function calls can get it either uncapped or at 60fps but game speed is too fast. thought i had found another instruction/compare loop that helped with the gamespeed but the primary problem with that part was the fact that while adjusting said compare down seemed to increase gamespeed, adjusting the opposite direction had little difference.

Panzer Dragoon: not done anywhere near as much but have managed to at least get to the timeGetTime step of uncapping the framerate itself (again, running way too fast). Doesn't help that Panzer Dragoon hates being debugged with either IDA Pro or x32dbg due to crashing whenever it tries to go past the main menu and into the intro avi. The only way i got the timeGetTime thing in this game at all was attaching after i was ingame.

MDK: Using the GOG Release. the D3D executable i can't even do anything with because it won't let go of window focus (no alt+tab for me) and while i have managed to uncap the fps itself on the 3DFX executable via timeGetTime, i have yet to investigate possible modifications to the gamespeed to balance it out since it's still too fast but not as much as either STCC or Panzer Dragoon.

I'll post any of the existing x32dbg 1337 patches on request but right now, it's a matter of gamespeed.

Reply 2 of 4, by JJXB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

unfortunately, i don't think it's a vsync issue because from what i can gather, all the games i've tried thus far with this stuff have had game logic tied to framerate. so while the games end up limiting themselves at 60 (according to RTSS anyway), they run too fast in terms of game speed. I was just hoping to find out if it was even possible to tweak things so gamespeed wasn't as dependent on framerate.

Reply 3 of 4, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why not try and limit the games to 30fps, back in the day that was an acceptable framerate
only in recent years has "you need a constant 60fps" been a thing

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 4 of 4, by JJXB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I mainly did it as a technical challenge for myself really. plus i was wanting to see if i could get something like STCC more comfortable to try out in TrinusVR as any sort of VR thing often needs higher framerates to feel good. Either way, i figured i'd ask if anyone else had poked into this stuff themselves as a matter of interest.