VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by captain_koloth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There a couple of games I’ve spent an inordinate amount of time patching and compatibility mode-ing and generally messing around with such that, after many hours of effort, I can finally get them working on Windows 10 (e.g. Longbow 2). I have 2 Windows 10 PCs, but with some games I have found that after finally getting them working on one computer, I’ll copy the file structure over to the other computer and it won’t work at all. I assume this is due to something related to the Windows registry and how I’ve installed it, but the installation and tweaking process for these games is so painful I really don’t want to go through the whole installation process again on another computer. Is there a way to copy the relevant registry entries over to the other computer, keeping in mind the drives are different (e.g. on one computer I’m usually installing on a drive D which is an SSD, on another a drive E). Does this question make sense? Is there a way to do this so as to avoid have to reinstall and tweak the game on a second computer?

Reply 1 of 5, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just export the registry before installation, and after finished installation and tweaking, export it again.
Then diff both versions and extract the relevant stuff into a .reg file that you can install by clicking.

For the drive changes either edit the .reg file manually or make a script to change it.

Reply 3 of 5, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Or next time just use something like TrackWinstall to track the changes an installer makes and use it to export all of the relevant keys and copy the added system files.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 4 of 5, by yochenhsieh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If the computer to be migrated is still new, try just change Drive letter. I also have many old games made "(semi-)portable" that only minimum registry import is required. Most old games actually don't need any registry to run. But if it requires, you can search the registry for the game's installed folder (e.g. D:\games\somewhere\), executable name (something.exe), and export them for later use.

Sometimes registry may hide in the name of developer or publisher, just try search anything might relate to your game.

Reply 5 of 5, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If anyone has a problem with missing registry entries try
https://www.regfiles.net

ps: they have a request section if you can help please do so.

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness