VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by General P. Error

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hiho! I own about a cubic metre of old Windows-games on CD/DVD. Most of them require the CD to be in the drive when playing, some for to read extra-data, others for a rudimentary copy-protection. So by now my living room was messed up with half-rotten "Jewel-cases". As i do'nt want to end up on a plastic dump, i found out how to put the data on hd and shovel all the CDs into the cellar:

1. Make the CD/DVD virtual: All you need is a CD-burner app like nero (i use crdtfe, but any other .iso-writer should do) and some .img-mounter (like WinCDEmu). Open your CD with Explorer, drag & drop the data on your new CD-image, make sure to name the CD/DVD like the original, "burn" the MyNewCD.img to hd. Now you can throw away the CD.

2. This is only half the way, because mounting the new image won't help = the game still searches its CD in your physical drive. Here comes the trick: Change your system settings from first-physical-CD-drive = d:\ (an example) to e:\ (just one letter up, so that the first letter after hd-volume(s) is blank = from abcd_ to abc_e). Now, when mounting the .iso, it automatically becomes the first available CD-drive (d:\) and the game thinks it is for real.

At last you may want to make a batch file for a) mounting b) running c) un-mounting and we're all happy. Ah, make sure that there is no other app and/or network on your system that gets confused when your CD/DVD-drive has a new letter...

As a side-effect, old CD-apps which have to be in the first drive (as .iso) can now be run directly. For example there is DeLorme Global Explorer from 1993 or DeLorme Street Atlas 1.0 from 1991(!). Both work now directly under XP, without having to use DOSBox & Win 3.1. Afaik, this should work for Win 7 & 10, too = 30yo software without emulator!

Maybe there are games with some "hard" copy-protection that fail and/or need some fine-tunig (raw image), but i tried this out with several CDs/DVDs and standard settings = "Joliet" and "track at once" worked.

Reply 1 of 5, by krcroft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Check out the redump project and get in touch with archive.org.
With so many out-of-print historic CDs, archive.org might in interested archiving those that it doesn't yet have.
Redump provides checksums for cd tracks based on a concensus model: if multiple users submit the same checksum then the odds are extremely likely the checksum represents the definitive 'bit exact' track.

Last edited by krcroft on 2019-06-28, 21:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 5, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You need Disc Image Creator and one of the specific plextor drives to dump discs with CDDA tracks, any standard data only disc can be dumped with whatever you like. I can tell that ISO will *not* work for anything with any kind of protection on it or if it has CDDA tracks which a load of older games do.

For data only discs extract as bin/cue, safedisc and securom are easily dumped but emulation software may not work for later versions without some kind of cloaking software. It is recommended to use Alcohol 120% drive emu or Daemon Tools (I prefer 3.47 for older systems, the newer one is too invasive for me). Certain protections like LaserLock need one of the specific Optiarc drives and a lot of patience to dump, but will work emulated without an issue, even on Windows 10.

Redump is always looking for dumpers to contribute, if you have the time and patience all submissions are very much appreciated.

Reply 3 of 5, by General P. Error

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

"a cubic metre" may be a little overstated. Let's say i got too many to find them decorative... Uploads to archive.org or so may be OK for US or canadian residents, afaik the regulations re abandonware are more liberal than in europe or elsewhere. There is not a single abandonware-site in europe (abandonia = swedish has only freeware & demos, the russian sites are illegal). If a german (like me) uploads *anything* that has once been sold, he's violating the copyright = this counts as active piracy = no good idea...

Last edited by General P. Error on 2019-06-29, 10:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 5, by krcroft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
General P. Error wrote:

Uploads to archive.org or so may be OK for US or canadian residents, afaik the regulations re abandonware are more liberal than in europe or elsewhere. There is not a single abandonware-site in europe (abandonia = swedish has only freeware & demos, the russian sites are illegal). If a german (like me) uploads *anything* that has once been sold, he's violating the copyright = this counts as active piracy = no good idea...

I would seriously suggest contacting archive.org and discussing options - they are the experts in how to make this happen, including both US and international knowledge. I follow Jason Scott's blog, and one option they use is simply shipping the material to archive.org where it's preserved using their archival-grade equipment. Then they ship it back to you (I suspect they cover round-trip shipping costs too; but I'm just guessing).