Just a quick little update - this will work for any older game that can run in software mode. I managed to run MechWarrior 3 without any mods whatsoever in software mode on a Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit system with AMD FX-8120 running at 3.1 Ghz without the physics glitching up and apcs flying in the air and other common glitches. Here's how:
- By experience, I know that the game really likes CPUs with 800 to 1100 Mhz (Had an Athlon XP in this range) so all I did was reduce the power of my cpu in windows power management until it was running at around 1 Ghz. The game ran at around 60 fps, but it was really designed to run at 30 fps, so further power reducing was needed - I reduced my CPU's power down to only 10% and the game ran at stable 30 fps - again no crashes, none of the common problems that others reported on forums and pcgamingwiki.
I'm posting this just as an alternative to running a wrapper, I never personally trust those things, especially when half of virustotal goes nuts when scanning the dll file.
TLDR: Have latest MW3 patch, reduce CPU power via windows power management until you get your cpu speed between 800 and 1100 mhz then run the game in software mode. No need to fiddle in BIOS to adjust power. I can post a very detailed info on how to do this if needed 😀