VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I want to have another Mass Effect 1 playthrough. I had a disk copy of the game ages ago and put the cod into Origin, which added it to my library. I've played it digitally ever since.

A recent driver, patch or Windows update or Securom-thingy has made it unplayable; I get 15fps outside on a 4770k/AMD 390 and then my 3700k/1070ti. It also plays at 15fps on my intel netbook.

I dug out my disk copy but the activation servers have been shut down. I remember being careful to redeem activations whenever I uninstalled it so I know there will be unused activations available, but but now it fails to find the server at all. Yay for DRM.

Has anyone had any luck getting it to work properly on old (or new) systems?

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 1 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm lies damn lies and statistics.

If true then yet another company that lied.
The TRiViUM 1.01a crack works fine on my retail copy.
For the Origin version the Reloaded v1.02 crack works.

I haven't noticed any performance issues.

Mass Effect PC to require Activation (Mother f'ing EA)
https://web.archive.org/web/20080510093146/ht … forum=125&sp=45

Posted 05/04/08 00:03 (GMT) by darthviper107

"That's ridiculous. To have it require activation every 10 days, what happens in the future if the servers go offline for some reason? (out of business, decide not to support it or whatever)"

Then we would release an update that removes this.

Derek French
Technical Producer
Bioware

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 5, by snickersnack

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

One of the budget releases for Mass Effect 1 can sidestep activation by deleting a file in the installation directory called "paul.dll". After that it's only disc check. I got mine around the time XP went out of extended support for an offline only gaming rig I was setting up. The keep case has an orange insert and says EA Value Games. I think it might have been a UK release.

Ah, here's the post from my notes:
http://www.gog.com/forum/general/list_of_drmf … l_games/post101

Reply 4 of 5, by mirh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote on 2019-10-24, 20:39:

Ehrm.. I don't want to be that guy, but you got more stuff wrong than right.
https://web.archive.org/web/20080513173751/ht … 29227&forum=125
The protection the game eventually used is this (patch 1.02 actually loosened it a bit more, but I digress).
And servers are still up (I know because I "accidentally converted" my Steam version to retail, and everything I needed to do was just to confirm my game key)
The only meaningful difference I could spot was a ~4 seconds longer splash screen.

You also ended up quoting a con artist one decade ago.

pcgamingwiki.com

Reply 5 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe before being that guy you should read before commenting.

I stated " if true" back in 2019 in reference to the op comments about possible server shutdown.

I then listed the cracks that work for me with retail and origin copies.

I then stated I had not noticed any performance issues.

I then linked to a thread made on vogons back in 2008 that was a summary of information posted at another forum so people wouldn't have to dig through a large thread for info.

I then quoted a bioware employee who stated that they would remove the requirement

Do you have anything useful to add concerning the op issue posted back in 2019?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline